You Can Have Dinner in a Cabin on the Middle of a Frozen Lake in Swedish Lapland
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Whether you’re on the hunt for the Northern Lights or not, the Aurora Hideaway Dinner is one of those experiences that will earn five gold stars on your bucket list. Available to guests at the Pine Bay Lodge in Luleå — a coastal town in Swedish Lapland — this dining experience is hard to put into one sentence, but I’ll try: Dine by candlelight in a one-room cabin on a very frozen lake that you need to take a snowmobile to reach.
If it sounds like something straight out of the most over-the-top rom-com every played on the “Lifetime” channel, you’re not wrong.
On the night I dined at the cabin, we were led onto a snowmobile-drawn sleigh covered in quilts. To prepare for the short but incredibly chilly ride, we crawled into heavily insulated boiler suits before hopping (somewhat hilariously, I should add, given the bulky outfits) onto the sleigh. After cutting through backyards and onto the lake ice — all in all, maybe a 15-minute trip — our guide, Tommy, slowed as we approached a small structure surrounded by candlelight. Cue the romantic music.
Next to the cabin was a grill, stoked and ready to prepare our dinner for the night: white fish and leek soup; baked Russet potatoes; steak with peppers and an equally peppery sauce; and a blueberry tart for dessert; all thoughtfully and deliciously grilled by Tommy. And lots of wine.
The inside of the cabin, the epitome of minimal-yet-cozy Scandinavian design, could hardly fit more than a handful of people. Candles burn everywhere, as does a wood-fed stove, which causes everyone inside to break into a sweat — so much so that we often propped open the door to invite some of the arctic air in.
Outside, you’ll find the kind of silence that seems louder to your brain than any inner city scene. You’re in the middle of a lake — and a big one at that — with the soft glow of windows from surrounding homes way off in the distance. And if you’re lucky, you might even catch a glimmer of the Northern Lights if the conditions are right. We didn’t, but the night was still downright magical.
Best of all, the “restaurants” are moved around the lake with a snowcat, according to Pine Bay Lodge, depending on weather and wind conditions. Showshoes are also available, should you want to take a post-dinner stroll around the lake or explore the wintry landscape while waiting for your steak to cook.
The experience costs around $250 per person, and it’s available to book through early April, temperatures permitting. As you can imagine, a dinner atop a frozen lake has a very specific kind of lifespan. For more information on how to book an Aurora Hideaway Dinner, head to the activity website.
Featured image courtesy of Pine Bay Lodge.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.