You Can Have Dinner in a Cabin on the Middle of a Frozen Lake in Swedish Lapland
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Whether you’re on the hunt for the Northern Lights or not, the Aurora Hideaway Dinner is one of those experiences that will earn five gold stars on your bucket list. Available to guests at the Pine Bay Lodge in Luleå — a coastal town in Swedish Lapland — this dining experience is hard to put into one sentence, but I’ll try: Dine by candlelight in a one-room cabin on a very frozen lake that you need to take a snowmobile to reach.
If it sounds like something straight out of the most over-the-top rom-com every played on the “Lifetime” channel, you’re not wrong.
On the night I dined at the cabin, we were led onto a snowmobile-drawn sleigh covered in quilts. To prepare for the short but incredibly chilly ride, we crawled into heavily insulated boiler suits before hopping (somewhat hilariously, I should add, given the bulky outfits) onto the sleigh. After cutting through backyards and onto the lake ice — all in all, maybe a 15-minute trip — our guide, Tommy, slowed as we approached a small structure surrounded by candlelight. Cue the romantic music.
Next to the cabin was a grill, stoked and ready to prepare our dinner for the night: white fish and leek soup; baked Russet potatoes; steak with peppers and an equally peppery sauce; and a blueberry tart for dessert; all thoughtfully and deliciously grilled by Tommy. And lots of wine.
The inside of the cabin, the epitome of minimal-yet-cozy Scandinavian design, could hardly fit more than a handful of people. Candles burn everywhere, as does a wood-fed stove, which causes everyone inside to break into a sweat — so much so that we often propped open the door to invite some of the arctic air in.
Outside, you’ll find the kind of silence that seems louder to your brain than any inner city scene. You’re in the middle of a lake — and a big one at that — with the soft glow of windows from surrounding homes way off in the distance. And if you’re lucky, you might even catch a glimmer of the Northern Lights if the conditions are right. We didn’t, but the night was still downright magical.
Best of all, the “restaurants” are moved around the lake with a snowcat, according to Pine Bay Lodge, depending on weather and wind conditions. Showshoes are also available, should you want to take a post-dinner stroll around the lake or explore the wintry landscape while waiting for your steak to cook.
The experience costs around $250 per person, and it’s available to book through early April, temperatures permitting. As you can imagine, a dinner atop a frozen lake has a very specific kind of lifespan. For more information on how to book an Aurora Hideaway Dinner, head to the activity website.
Featured image courtesy of Pine Bay Lodge.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees