Did Korean Air SkyPass End Award Booking Holds?
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Korean Air’s SkyPass loyalty program is known for great value and solid premium cabin availability. Reports have been floating around that the program has ended the ability to put award tickets on hold — however that’s not the case.
Korean allows you to put award tickets on hold for up to a 30 days — even if you don’t have the miles in your account. This is a great tool because you can then transfer in points to your SkyPass account from a program like Chase Ultimate Rewards, eliminating the fear that the award seat would disappear while you waited.
Korean Air is a member of the SkyTeam alliance, meaning you can book award tickets with its partners like Delta and Air France.
When logged in, you’ll get an error message that you don’t have enough miles in your account to book the award.
We tried calling an agent to put an award on hold, but unlike other reports, the agent was able to put an award ticket on hold for me (from New York JFK to Seoul-Incheon on Korean Air in business class in January 2019), even though I had zero miles in my account.
We reached out to Korean, and they confirmed that there has been no policy change regarding award ticket holds.
The Korean rep said that if you don’t have the required number of miles in your SkyPass account for your desired award, then you’ll need to call in to Korean and put the award on hold over the phone. However, If you do have enough miles in your account for an award ticket, you can still hold that seat online.
So, Korean Air award ticket holds remain alive and are still a fantastic tool when planning points-fueled trips.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.