Did Korean Air SkyPass End Award Booking Holds?
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Korean Air’s SkyPass loyalty program is known for great value and solid premium cabin availability. Reports have been floating around that the program has ended the ability to put award tickets on hold — however that’s not the case.
Korean allows you to put award tickets on hold for up to a 30 days — even if you don’t have the miles in your account. This is a great tool because you can then transfer in points to your SkyPass account from a program like Chase Ultimate Rewards, eliminating the fear that the award seat would disappear while you waited.
Korean Air is a member of the SkyTeam alliance, meaning you can book award tickets with its partners like Delta and Air France.
When logged in, you’ll get an error message that you don’t have enough miles in your account to book the award.
We tried calling an agent to put an award on hold, but unlike other reports, the agent was able to put an award ticket on hold for me (from New York JFK to Seoul-Incheon on Korean Air in business class in January 2019), even though I had zero miles in my account.
We reached out to Korean, and they confirmed that there has been no policy change regarding award ticket holds.
The Korean rep said that if you don’t have the required number of miles in your SkyPass account for your desired award, then you’ll need to call in to Korean and put the award on hold over the phone. However, If you do have enough miles in your account for an award ticket, you can still hold that seat online.
So, Korean Air award ticket holds remain alive and are still a fantastic tool when planning points-fueled trips.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees