After Just 2 Weeks, New DFW Centurion Lounge Is Reaching Capacity
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Rumor has it that just a scant two weeks after opening, the new American Express Centurion Lounge at Dallas Fort-Worth is already hitting capacity.
Last Saturday, traveler Nathan Totusek tweeted a photo of a sign outside the Amex Lounge that stated, “Due to high traffic in our lounge at this time, we can only welcome Platinum Card Members who enter within three hours of their boarding pass departure time. We apologize for any inconvenience.” A follow-up tweet stated that Totusek saw “at least one person with an inbound boarding pass turned away” from the check-in desk.
A customer service rep responded to Totusek’s post from the @AskAmex Twitter account, saying, “Hi Nathan. Thanks for tweeting. Due to peak travel periods, we are limiting access to the lounge for same day departing flights within three hours of departure or connecting travel only. We apologize for any inconvenience and appreciate your understanding.”
However, another traveler responded to Totusek’s tweet by stating that she had flown in and out of DFW that same week without seeing the capacity sign posted outside the lounge. “Maybe [restrictions apply] only peak hours?” she speculated, adding that she had spent less than 30 minutes in the lounge each time, both times with guests.
American Express told TPG, “During times when we’re seeing high capacity in our Centurion Lounges, we may choose to limit access to only Platinum Card Members who enter within three hours of their boarding pass departure time. This policy, however, does not impact the guest policy in our lounges, which for Platinum Card Members is up to two complimentary guests.”
The restrictions are not exactly new. Centurion Lounges have been known to implement this three-hour prior to departure restriction before. Nonetheless, it’s a bit surprising to see the newly opened DFW location already resorting to the measure.
Featured photo by Katherine Fan / The Points Guy.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.