After Just 2 Weeks, New DFW Centurion Lounge Is Reaching Capacity
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Rumor has it that just a scant two weeks after opening, the new American Express Centurion Lounge at Dallas Fort-Worth is already hitting capacity.
Last Saturday, traveler Nathan Totusek tweeted a photo of a sign outside the Amex Lounge that stated, “Due to high traffic in our lounge at this time, we can only welcome Platinum Card Members who enter within three hours of their boarding pass departure time. We apologize for any inconvenience.” A follow-up tweet stated that Totusek saw “at least one person with an inbound boarding pass turned away” from the check-in desk.
A customer service rep responded to Totusek’s post from the @AskAmex Twitter account, saying, “Hi Nathan. Thanks for tweeting. Due to peak travel periods, we are limiting access to the lounge for same day departing flights within three hours of departure or connecting travel only. We apologize for any inconvenience and appreciate your understanding.”
However, another traveler responded to Totusek’s tweet by stating that she had flown in and out of DFW that same week without seeing the capacity sign posted outside the lounge. “Maybe [restrictions apply] only peak hours?” she speculated, adding that she had spent less than 30 minutes in the lounge each time, both times with guests.
American Express told TPG, “During times when we’re seeing high capacity in our Centurion Lounges, we may choose to limit access to only Platinum Card Members who enter within three hours of their boarding pass departure time. This policy, however, does not impact the guest policy in our lounges, which for Platinum Card Members is up to two complimentary guests.”
The restrictions are not exactly new. Centurion Lounges have been known to implement this three-hour prior to departure restriction before. Nonetheless, it’s a bit surprising to see the newly opened DFW location already resorting to the measure.
Featured photo by Katherine Fan / The Points Guy.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees