Delta and WestJet announce reciprocal elite benefits
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Starting today, Delta and WestJet elite members will start receiving reciprocal benefits when flying either airline. According to Delta, the move is meant to “[Create] a more seamless travel experience for our joint customers as we work towards improving our products and services.”
The border to Canada remains closed for nonessential travel until at least April 21, limiting flights between the U.S. and Canada. Once the border reopens, Delta hopes this reciprocal agreement will attract travelers when they’re ready to fly again: “These improvements will be available as the network rebounds and customers are ready to travel again.”
For more TPG news and travel tips delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our free daily newsletter.
Reciprocal benefits for Delta SkyMiles and WestJet Rewards members go into effect today. They include the following perks:
- Priority boarding
- Priority check-in
- Lounge access
- Preferred seats with the seat selection fee waived
- Extra checked baggage allowance
- Priority drop-off and handling
- Priority security check at, where available
This is positive news all around for both SkyMiles and WestJet flyers with elite status. In anticipation of travel resuming after widespread COVID-19 vaccination efforts, the airlines are aiming for a competitive edge as passengers resume flying.
Featured image by Nicolas Economou/NurPhoto via Getty Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.