Delta and WestJet announce reciprocal elite benefits
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Starting today, Delta and WestJet elite members will start receiving reciprocal benefits when flying either airline. According to Delta, the move is meant to “[Create] a more seamless travel experience for our joint customers as we work towards improving our products and services.”
The border to Canada remains closed for nonessential travel until at least April 21, limiting flights between the U.S. and Canada. Once the border reopens, Delta hopes this reciprocal agreement will attract travelers when they’re ready to fly again: “These improvements will be available as the network rebounds and customers are ready to travel again.”
For more TPG news and travel tips delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our free daily newsletter.
Reciprocal benefits for Delta SkyMiles and WestJet Rewards members go into effect today. They include the following perks:
- Priority boarding
- Priority check-in
- Lounge access
- Preferred seats with the seat selection fee waived
- Extra checked baggage allowance
- Priority drop-off and handling
- Priority security check at, where available
This is positive news all around for both SkyMiles and WestJet flyers with elite status. In anticipation of travel resuming after widespread COVID-19 vaccination efforts, the airlines are aiming for a competitive edge as passengers resume flying.
Featured image by Nicolas Economou/NurPhoto via Getty Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees