Delta Taps Inflight Entertainment Screens to Raise Awareness for Human Trafficking
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Human trafficking is an unpleasant topic to broach, but incredibly important for flyers to recognize. Massive sporting events in particular tend to see spikes in attempted trafficking, and with Super Bowl LIII coming to Atlanta’s Mercedes-Benz Stadium, increased effort is being placed on awareness.
Given that this year’s Super Bowl is being hosted in Delta Air Lines’ backyard, and in honor of Human Trafficking Awareness Day on Jan. 11, 2019, the airline is doing something it has never done before: leaning on inflight entertainment screens to get the message out.
Seventy-one percent of labor trafficking victims report being trafficked into the United States on an airplane. Per Delta: “The campaign, developed with anti-human trafficking experts Polaris, calls customers to #GetOnBoard and shines a light on the estimated 25 million people enslaved today. It includes enhanced signage in airports and an inflight video that puts a face and story to modern slavery, depicting an unsuspected trafficking dynamic and highlighting indicators through the eyes of a young boy — the trafficking victim.”
The video is being introduced with a PA announcement on all aircraft equipped with seatback screens during January, Human Trafficking Awareness Month. It also provides the number for the National Human Trafficking Hotline, a resource for victims and the community alike to report tips of human trafficking or access support, which Delta supported with a $1M commitment.
Customers have the chance to join the fight by donating miles through Polaris using Delta’s Skywish program at Delta.com. The miles fly victims home, to safety or to receive critical care and legal services. The program has provided 60 flights for survivors thus far, and Delta is matching the first 3 million miles donated.
Delta goes to great lengths to halt human trafficking, training 56,000 employees to identify and report around the globe. It also offers employees volunteer opportunities in 13 cities to support survivors in their recovery, as well as apprenticeships for survivors at its Atlanta headquarters to provide career development and opportunities to learn professional skills.
As the videos shown here indicate, you should alert a flight attendant if someone reaches out discreetly about being flown against their will. If you see something, say something.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees