Delta Taps Inflight Entertainment Screens to Raise Awareness for Human Trafficking
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Human trafficking is an unpleasant topic to broach, but incredibly important for flyers to recognize. Massive sporting events in particular tend to see spikes in attempted trafficking, and with Super Bowl LIII coming to Atlanta’s Mercedes-Benz Stadium, increased effort is being placed on awareness.
Given that this year’s Super Bowl is being hosted in Delta Air Lines’ backyard, and in honor of Human Trafficking Awareness Day on Jan. 11, 2019, the airline is doing something it has never done before: leaning on inflight entertainment screens to get the message out.
Seventy-one percent of labor trafficking victims report being trafficked into the United States on an airplane. Per Delta: “The campaign, developed with anti-human trafficking experts Polaris, calls customers to #GetOnBoard and shines a light on the estimated 25 million people enslaved today. It includes enhanced signage in airports and an inflight video that puts a face and story to modern slavery, depicting an unsuspected trafficking dynamic and highlighting indicators through the eyes of a young boy — the trafficking victim.”
The video is being introduced with a PA announcement on all aircraft equipped with seatback screens during January, Human Trafficking Awareness Month. It also provides the number for the National Human Trafficking Hotline, a resource for victims and the community alike to report tips of human trafficking or access support, which Delta supported with a $1M commitment.
Customers have the chance to join the fight by donating miles through Polaris using Delta’s Skywish program at Delta.com. The miles fly victims home, to safety or to receive critical care and legal services. The program has provided 60 flights for survivors thus far, and Delta is matching the first 3 million miles donated.
Delta goes to great lengths to halt human trafficking, training 56,000 employees to identify and report around the globe. It also offers employees volunteer opportunities in 13 cities to support survivors in their recovery, as well as apprenticeships for survivors at its Atlanta headquarters to provide career development and opportunities to learn professional skills.
As the videos shown here indicate, you should alert a flight attendant if someone reaches out discreetly about being flown against their will. If you see something, say something.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.