Delta Details First Routes for Reconfigured 777-200s With Delta One Suite
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Since launching an all-new business-class product on its A350s last year, Delta has been slowly detailing plans to launch the same seats on some of its other aircraft. We’ve known for a while now that its fleet of Boeing 777s would be the next aircraft to get the Delta One Suite treatment, but until now, we didn’t know when, or on which routes.
As Routes Online reports, Delta will launch the first 777-200, equipped with the new Delta One suites this summer on the following routes and dates:
- July 2-20, 2018: Detroit (DTW) to Beijing (PEK) — Operating on alternating days with an A350
- March 31, 2019: Los Angeles (LAX) to Sydney (SYD) — Operating daily
Flights operated by the newly configured 772 are now available to book. Inside, you can expect to find a reduction in the number of seats in Delta One (as the Suites take up more room), a new premium-economy cabin (replacing the former Comfort+ seats) and about the same number of economy seats.
More specifically, you can expect to find a total of 28 Delta One Suites in the business class cabin. This, as compared to the previous configuration, which offered 37 Delta One seats. Like that on the A350, the cabin is arranged in a 1-2-1 configuration. However, while the 772 will offer 28 seats, Delta’s A350 offers more, with a total of 32 in the cabin.
While arguably not the top business-class seat in the skies, the Delta One Suite is still a great product for travelers. With it, you’ll get a spacious seat enclosed by sliding door to provide you with privacy. You can check out TPG’s full review of the Delta One Suite experience here.
Meanwhile, further back in the aircraft, you can expect to find 48 Premium Select seats. Like that in the A350, the cabin is arranged in a 2-4-2 configuration. In the previous 772 configuration, there was no Premium Select cabin. Instead, there were 36 Comfort+ seats, which Delta has elected to completely do away with in this new 772 configuration.
On the A350, the Premium Select seats offer 38 inches of pitch and are 18.5 inches wide. You can check out a full review of the Premium Select experience here.
Finally, in the economy cabin, Delta elected to keep the 3-3-3 configuration that has been offered on the 772. In total, the economy cabin is comprised of 220 seats, as compared to 218 in the previous 772 configuration. Check out what the economy experience is like on the A350.
If you’re looking to fly in the Delta One Suite on the newly configured 777-200, be prepared to fork out a hefty number of miles. For each of the days that the aircraft is showing as operating on the DTW-PEK route in July, it will cost 300,000 SkyMiles + $5.60.
Alternatively, you could pay cash for the ticket. We’re seeing one-way fares on the route in Delta One Suites from $5,283.
Overall, this is an exciting change for Delta flyers. With yet another aircraft getting Delta’s best seat, it will make the experience more enjoyable — at least for those sitting in the front. Though, there are caveats. For those sitting in economy, the exclusion of a Comfort+ cabin leaves elites relying on those seats with a little extra legroom with a more uncomfortable journey.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.