Delta’s $1.3 Billion Profit Sharing Payout Breaks Hearts at American and United
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Delta employees don’t really celebrate Valentine’s Day. Instead, they celebrate Profit Sharing Day. Thursday is a particularly impressive one, with a cool $1.3 billion being distributed across the company’s 86,000+ full-time employees. Said another way, it’s a whopping 14% bonus on an employee’s base pay.
It’s the second largest profit sharing pool in the airline’s history, and its the fifth consecutive year in which Delta Air Lines has shelled out north of $1 billion in profit sharing. That’s over $16,000 per employee on average — a pretty good distraction from roses and Hallmark cards.
Let’s put that in perspective, shall we?
- Southwest Airlines, the third largest North American carrier in terms of enplaned passengers, is doling out $544 million through its 2018 profit sharing plan, which equals around 10.8% of each eligible employee’s compensation.
- American Airlines, the largest North American carrier in terms of enplaned passengers, accrued $175 million for the company’s profit sharing program in 2018. That works out to around 1.4% of each employee’s base pay.
- United Airlines, the fourth largest North American carrier in terms of enplaned passengers, recently reported that its employees “earned $334 million in profit sharing for 2018.” United has two profit sharing pools, with pilots earning around 4% of base pay and everyone earning around 3%.
In a bid to show even more love, Delta is giving each full-time employee a day of paid community service. Staring April 1, 2019 Delta employees will be paid when they volunteer with a 501(c)(3) or international nonprofit organization of their choice through March 2020. The program is expected to put “up to 640,000 additional hours of service into communities on top of the thousands of hours of time Delta employees already give.”
Now, if only Delta would be so giving when it comes to low-level award space on those Delta One Suites.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees