Delta Medallions, don’t panic: The 2021 rollover has already started
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Delta’s SkyMiles program has one big benefit that its major U.S. competitors don’t offer: the ability to roll extra earned Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) over into the next qualifying year.
Seemingly every year, Medallion members wake up on Jan. 1 and wonder where all their extra miles went, as evidenced by a reader question from two years ago.
Want more airline news and advice from TPG? Sign up for our daily newsletter!
Referring to the 2020 rollover campaign Kathryn Steel, a spokeswoman for Delta stated, “The MQM rollover.. should take 1 – 2 weeks.”
This year, the rollover has started earlier than expected. TPG’s Scott Mayerowitz woke up today to find that his MQMs had already rolled over as of January 3.
How the Delta MQM rollover works
If you’re new to Delta Medallion status, here’s a quick overview of how the rollover works: You already know that you needed to fly a certain number of miles (MQM) or segments (MQS), and spend a certain amount of money (MQD) to reach each status tier. For Silver Medallion, the lowest status tier, the thresholds are 25,000 MQMs or 30 MQSs and $3,000 MQDs.
In a normal year, any extra MQMs earned beyond a specific status level would roll over to the next year. Once you crossed the threshold for Silver (or higher) in 2019 (thus earning status for 2020), you may have continued earning MQMs in 2019, but not quite enough to reach the next status tier. The extra MQMs you earned were automatically deposited into your account toward your 2021 status.
For example, if you earned 32,000 MQMs in 2020 and reached Silver Medallion, the “extra” 7,000 above your status threshold get rolled over into the new year and help you get a head start for elite-status qualification. However, due to the pandemic Delta will be rolling over all MQMs earned last year, not just the extras earned beyond a specific status level. So if you earned 101,000 MQMs last year as Scott did, you should see the same number of MQMs posting to your account in the coming days.
Additional reporting by Ariana Arghandewal
Featured photo by Zach Griff/The Points Guy
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees