This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Aviation authorities are investigating an incident in which a Delta flight encountered an “unmanned aircraft” while en route to Boston.
Delta subsidiary Endeavor Air was on its way to Boston’s Logan International Airport (BOS) Wednesday morning when the flight crew reported seeing a drone at 11:15am, about 15 miles northwest of the airport, the Federal Aviation Administration told Fox News.
According to the FAA, the flight did not have to take evasive measures to avoid the drone and landed safely at BOS after taking off from Philadelphia (PHL). No injuries were reported.
“Endeavor Air flight 5521 operating as Delta Connection from Philadelphia to Boston observed what appeared to be a drone during the approach to Logan International,” a spokesperson for Delta told TPG in an emailed statement. “The flight landed without incident.”
Both the FAA and Massachusetts State Police said they would be investigating the incident.
In 2017, the FAA released a report stating that drone strikes can cause more damage to aircraft than bird strikes. Just last month, however, the FAA cleared nine drone companies to fly their devices in areas near airports, modifying a blanket rule that previously prohibited anyone from flying drones in areas within five miles of an airport.
The American Express Platinum card has some of the best perks out there: cardholders enjoy the best domestic lounge access (Delta SkyClubs, Centurion Lounges, and Priority Pass), a $200 annual airline fee credit as well as up to $200 in Uber credits, and mid-tier elite status at SPG, Marriott, and Hilton. Combined with the 60,000 point welcome offer -- worth $1,140 based on TPG's valuations -- this card is a no-brainer for frequent travelers. Here are 5 reasons you should consider this card, as well as how you can figure out if the $550 annual fee makes sense for you.
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees