A Delta Flight Encountered a Drone Near Boston
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Aviation authorities are investigating an incident in which a Delta flight encountered an “unmanned aircraft” while en route to Boston.
Delta subsidiary Endeavor Air was on its way to Boston’s Logan International Airport (BOS) Wednesday morning when the flight crew reported seeing a drone at 11:15am, about 15 miles northwest of the airport, the Federal Aviation Administration told Fox News.
According to the FAA, the flight did not have to take evasive measures to avoid the drone and landed safely at BOS after taking off from Philadelphia (PHL). No injuries were reported.
“Endeavor Air flight 5521 operating as Delta Connection from Philadelphia to Boston observed what appeared to be a drone during the approach to Logan International,” a spokesperson for Delta told TPG in an emailed statement. “The flight landed without incident.”
Both the FAA and Massachusetts State Police said they would be investigating the incident.
In 2017, the FAA released a report stating that drone strikes can cause more damage to aircraft than bird strikes. Just last month, however, the FAA cleared nine drone companies to fly their devices in areas near airports, modifying a blanket rule that previously prohibited anyone from flying drones in areas within five miles of an airport.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees