Delta Passenger Headbutts Flight Attendant, Forcing Emergency Landing
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Delta Air Lines Flight 2603 from Salt Lake City (SLC) to Orlando (MCO) made an emergency diversion landing in Oklahoma City (OKC) early Friday morning after a drunk passenger physically attacked a male flight attendant.
Assistant public information officer Sgt. Gary Knight said that Derek Maas, 28, had been drinking before the flight, and originally was denied additional alcohol on board although he initially did not pose a threat to either the flight crew or to his fellow passengers before takeoff.
Maas told the female flight attendant that he would go to sleep if he could get another drink. But after she complied, he began requesting more drinks and became increasingly “unruly and violent,” verbally harassing the female flight attendant. When a male flight attendant intervened, a fight broke out after Mass head-butted him in response, and Maas had to be restrained with zip ties for the remainder of the flight as the plane diverted to Oklahoma City, landing at 1:53am.
Police officers reported smelling alcohol on Maas’s breath, noting that he was unsteady on his feet, stumbling and losing his balance while walking toward the officer. Maas was arrested by law enforcement at Will Rogers World Airport and booked into custody at 9:25am. The flight proceeded on to Orlando, landing at 7am. As of Saturday morning, Maas had been released from custody, according to the Oklahoma County inmate query.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X points on dining and 2x points on travel, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.