Delta Passenger Headbutts Flight Attendant, Forcing Emergency Landing
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Delta Air Lines Flight 2603 from Salt Lake City (SLC) to Orlando (MCO) made an emergency diversion landing in Oklahoma City (OKC) early Friday morning after a drunk passenger physically attacked a male flight attendant.
Assistant public information officer Sgt. Gary Knight said that Derek Maas, 28, had been drinking before the flight, and originally was denied additional alcohol on board although he initially did not pose a threat to either the flight crew or to his fellow passengers before takeoff.
Maas told the female flight attendant that he would go to sleep if he could get another drink. But after she complied, he began requesting more drinks and became increasingly “unruly and violent,” verbally harassing the female flight attendant. When a male flight attendant intervened, a fight broke out after Mass head-butted him in response, and Maas had to be restrained with zip ties for the remainder of the flight as the plane diverted to Oklahoma City, landing at 1:53am.
Police officers reported smelling alcohol on Maas’s breath, noting that he was unsteady on his feet, stumbling and losing his balance while walking toward the officer. Maas was arrested by law enforcement at Will Rogers World Airport and booked into custody at 9:25am. The flight proceeded on to Orlando, landing at 7am. As of Saturday morning, Maas had been released from custody, according to the Oklahoma County inmate query.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees