Delta Flight From New York to France Turns Back Halfway Due to Faulty Toilet
Thanks to highly sophisticated tracking mechanisms (and things called clocks), we know that the last five Delta flights between New York-Kennedy (JFK) and Nice Côte d’Azur (NCE) each took around 7 hours and 20 minutes from takeoff to touchdown.
The one on August 14, 2018, however, took longer. And it never got to France.
An otherwise unassuming Tuesday night flight across the Atlantic got weird when passengers were informed that they would not, in fact, be landing in Europe. Instead, DL412 turned around roughly halfway, flying all the way back to New York. Total trip time? 7 hours and 36 minutes on a flight to nowhere. Ouch.
Making matters worse is the reported reason behind the diversion: an inoperable toilet. Famed host, author and producer Andy Cohen just so happened to be on the flight, and gave a comical — if not graphic — recap of what happened in an Instagram Story. He states that with just a few hours to go before reaching Europe, someone “pooped… or put something down the toilet,” prompting the JFK-to-JFK circle. He did, however, acknowledge that he managed “a full night’s sleep,” which tells you that he almost certainly flew up front in Delta One on the 767 — registration N836MH.
Hilariously enough, TPG himself reviewed this exact same route in 2015, though it’s safe to say the outcome was helped by having landed in France rather than New York.
Others on the flight took to Twitter to see if Delta had anything to add.
TPG reached out to Delta and received the following statement: “Delta apologizes to our customers for the inconvenience after Delta flight 412 to Nice, France returned to John F. Kennedy International Airport after the crew received an indication that the lavatories were inoperative. The flight landed without incident and the aircraft proceeded to the gate for maintenance inspection. Customers have been reaccommodated on an alternate flight and were offered a gesture of service recovery for the disruption to their travel.”
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X points on dining and 2x points on travel, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.