Delta Flight From New York to France Turns Back Halfway Due to Faulty Toilet
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Thanks to highly sophisticated tracking mechanisms (and things called clocks), we know that the last five Delta flights between New York-Kennedy (JFK) and Nice Côte d’Azur (NCE) each took around 7 hours and 20 minutes from takeoff to touchdown.
The one on August 14, 2018, however, took longer. And it never got to France.
An otherwise unassuming Tuesday night flight across the Atlantic got weird when passengers were informed that they would not, in fact, be landing in Europe. Instead, DL412 turned around roughly halfway, flying all the way back to New York. Total trip time? 7 hours and 36 minutes on a flight to nowhere. Ouch.
Making matters worse is the reported reason behind the diversion: an inoperable toilet. Famed host, author and producer Andy Cohen just so happened to be on the flight, and gave a comical — if not graphic — recap of what happened in an Instagram Story. He states that with just a few hours to go before reaching Europe, someone “pooped… or put something down the toilet,” prompting the JFK-to-JFK circle. He did, however, acknowledge that he managed “a full night’s sleep,” which tells you that he almost certainly flew up front in Delta One on the 767 — registration N836MH.
Hilariously enough, TPG himself reviewed this exact same route in 2015, though it’s safe to say the outcome was helped by having landed in France rather than New York.
Others on the flight took to Twitter to see if Delta had anything to add.
TPG reached out to Delta and received the following statement: “Delta apologizes to our customers for the inconvenience after Delta flight 412 to Nice, France returned to John F. Kennedy International Airport after the crew received an indication that the lavatories were inoperative. The flight landed without incident and the aircraft proceeded to the gate for maintenance inspection. Customers have been reaccommodated on an alternate flight and were offered a gesture of service recovery for the disruption to their travel.”
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees