Last chance: Delta offering targeted status challenges up to Diamond Medallion
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Airlines are doing their best to lure travelers back on to their planes and encourage them to build loyalty.
For a limited time, targeted SkyMiles members can enroll in a challenge to receive complimentary Delta Medallion status one tier higher than their equivalent status on another U.S. airline, up to top-tier Diamond Medallion status. Additionally, members will have more time to meet the significantly-reduced challenge requirements to extend their status throughout 2021.
But you’ll have to act fast: Targeted members with status on Alaska Airlines, American Airlines, JetBlue, Southwest Airlines or United Airlines can enroll in the challenge by Oct. 31, 2020. Targeted SkyMiles members should have received an invitation to enroll in the elevated status match challenge.
For more TPG news, deals and points and miles tips delivered each morning to your inbox, subscribe to our daily newsletter.
Delta’s elevated status match challenge
If eligible, you’ll receive complimentary Medallion status one tier higher than your current status, up to Diamond, through March 31, 2021. Plus, you’ll have the opportunity to extend that status through Jan. 31, 2022 by completing the following flight requirements during the trial period:
- If you receive Gold Medallion status: Fly 2 qualifying round-trips or 4 one-ways
- If you receive Platinum Medallion status: Fly 4 qualifying round-trips or 8 one-ways
- If you receive Diamond Medallion status: Fly 6 qualifying round-trips or 12 one-ways
Here’s a look at Delta’s status comparison chart for this promotion:
|Current elite status with other airlines||Delta Gold Medallion||Delta Platinum Medallion||Delta Diamond Medallion|
|Alaska Airlines||MVP||MVP Gold||MVP Gold 75K|
|American Airlines||Gold||Platinum||Executive Platinum
|Southwest Airlines||A-List||A-List Preferred||N/A|
|United Airlines||Premier Silver||Premier Gold||Premier Platinum
Note that the promotion page is publicly available, and you can access it at this link. However, the terms at the bottom of that page include the following:
“Eligibility: Only Members who receive this communication directly from Delta Air Lines are eligible to participate in this offer.”
As a result, you likely won’t be eligible unless you received the email.
Is it worth it?
This is perhaps Delta’s most generous status match challenge to date. Aside from the fact that major airlines usually don’t match up to their top-tier of status, the requirements to maintain the statuses are much lower than Delta’s usual challenge — and don’t have any spending requirements.
For comparison, here’s what Delta usually requires for its standard challenge offering:
- Gold Medallion: 12,500 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) or 15 Medallion Qualification Segments (MQSs) and $1,500 Medallion Qualification Dollars (MQDs)
- Platinum Medallion: 18,750 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) or 25 Medallion Qualification Segments (MQSs) and $2,250 Medallion Qualification Dollars (MQDs) for Platinum.
Additionally, you usually only have three months to meet the challenge requirements, whereas this offer guarantees at least five months.
TPG values Delta Gold status at $2,140, Platinum at $3,855 and Diamond at $8,830 so this challenge can definitely be worth the effort. Regardless which of these status levels you get, you’ll unlock perks like complimentary upgrades, waived baggage fees and lounge access (when traveling internationally). Note that Diamond and Platinum Medallion Choice Benefits aren’t provided during the trial status period, but will be provided to those who successfully meet the challenge requirements.
Worth mentioning, Delta’s status match challenge is usually only available once every three years. However, that language is not included in the terms of this offer.
Understandably, not everyone feels comfortable returning to the skies yet. However, if you are flying and were targeted for this offer, then it’s definitely worth taking advantage of.
Keep in mind that promotional or temporary elite status on other airlines are not eligible for matches and you should not submit photoshopped or HTML code-altered credentials. Also, note that award and basic economy tickets do not count toward the challenge requirements. Most other flights that are marketed or operated by Delta and Delta Connection, including flights purchased with Delta eCredits, should qualify.
Not targeted for this offer? Here’s a list of other airline elite status match and challenge options.
Featured image by Benji Stawski/The Points Guy.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees