Delta finally eliminates the strict 72-hour award cancellation rule
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Delta award tickets have just become a lot more flexible.
That’s because the Atlanta-based carrier has now dropped its restriction on changing or canceling a SkyMiles redemption within 72 hours of departure — for all flights globally, a carrier spokesperson confirmed to TPG.
This applies to all awards purchased with SkyMiles for all destinations, including those operated by the carrier’s Skyteam partners.
For over nine years, Delta required that all awards be changed or canceled three or more days before departure. Otherwise, you’d forfeit your miles for making a last-minute modification.
In late August, following similar moves made by its major competitors, Delta started to rethink ticket flexibility. The carrier permanently eliminated change fees for domestic tickets and dropped the 72-hour rule from domestic SkyMiles awards, too.
Just last week, Delta expanded its no-change-fee policy to cover all international flights departing from U.S. — and subsequently eliminated the 72-hour rule from those flights as well.
But Wednesday’s move makes all SkyMiles tickets infinitely more flexible, regardless of itinerary or destination.
While this is certainly a customer-friendly move, do note that both American and United have long allowed flyers to modify award tickets at any time before departure. Regardless, it’s great to see Delta making this change, even if it’s playing “catch up” with its Big 3 competitors.
Just because it’s now easier to change or cancel a Delta award doesn’t mean that it’s going to be free. Some award tickets no longer carry a change or redeposit fee, including those:
- Booked on or after Aug. 31, 2020, for travel within the U.S. (including Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands).
- Booked on or after Dec. 9, 2020, for travel originating from North America to anywhere in the world.
- Booked on or after Dec. 9, 2020, for travel between the U.S., Mexico and the Caribbean.
However, for all other awards, flyers will be on the hook for $150 to change or cancel an award. Platinum and top-tier Diamond Medallions will continue to receive free changes to all awards, regardless of destination.
American Airlines, on the other hand, has led the way when it comes to award fees. The carrier has permanently dropped change and redeposit fees for all awards modified any time before departure.
Featured photo by Zach Griff/The Points Guy
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees