Delta Contributes Additional $500K for Hurricane Florence Disaster Relief
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
In the run-up to Hurricane Florence making landfall in the Carolinas, Delta joined American Airlines in donating $1 million to the American Red Cross. Now that both states are reeling from its impact, Delta Air Lines is contributing another $500,000 to aid in the relief efforts. Delta employees and customers are also contributing to the Red Cross in support of disaster response in the wake of the catastrophic flooding caused by Florence.
My home happens to be mere miles from some of the most publicized devastation. The flooding depicted below isn’t an isolated case. Entire counties are still struggling now that rivers are cresting, and both the physical cleanup and the mental healing will take time. Many evacuees in towns like Wilmington, NC still aren’t able to return home, and those who do may face homes that will never again be habitable.
Airports in Jacksonville, NC (OAJ), New Bern, NC (EWN) and Wilmington, NC (ILM) were offline for days, with Delta and other airlines just now returning to a standard schedule. For its part, Delta has supported the affected airports, sending food, water, generators and other equipment to aid recovery efforts.
Tad Hutcheson, Delta’s managing director of community engagement, said the following: “Delta stands in support of the people affected by Hurricane Florence. We are grateful to have partners like the American Red Cross and to be able to contribute to experts that specialize in disaster response year-round and can help provide immediate assistance to those in need.”
For those looking to contribute to relief efforts, American frequently offers a generous 10x AAdvantage miles bonus for donations toward disaster relief, and its Hurricane Florence partnership with the American Red Cross is no exception. Donors will receive 10x AAdvantage miles for a minimum donation to the American Red Cross through this link through September 21. The miles will be deposited into your AAdvantage mileage account 30 to 45 business days after the payment is made. We’ve also created a guide rounding up the best ways to support, from opening your home with Airbnb to donating hotel points.
Featured image courtesy of Daniel Cima/American Red Cross.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees