Delta Contributes Additional $500K for Hurricane Florence Disaster Relief
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
In the run-up to Hurricane Florence making landfall in the Carolinas, Delta joined American Airlines in donating $1 million to the American Red Cross. Now that both states are reeling from its impact, Delta Air Lines is contributing another $500,000 to aid in the relief efforts. Delta employees and customers are also contributing to the Red Cross in support of disaster response in the wake of the catastrophic flooding caused by Florence.
My home happens to be mere miles from some of the most publicized devastation. The flooding depicted below isn’t an isolated case. Entire counties are still struggling now that rivers are cresting, and both the physical cleanup and the mental healing will take time. Many evacuees in towns like Wilmington, NC still aren’t able to return home, and those who do may face homes that will never again be habitable.
Airports in Jacksonville, NC (OAJ), New Bern, NC (EWN) and Wilmington, NC (ILM) were offline for days, with Delta and other airlines just now returning to a standard schedule. For its part, Delta has supported the affected airports, sending food, water, generators and other equipment to aid recovery efforts.
Tad Hutcheson, Delta’s managing director of community engagement, said the following: “Delta stands in support of the people affected by Hurricane Florence. We are grateful to have partners like the American Red Cross and to be able to contribute to experts that specialize in disaster response year-round and can help provide immediate assistance to those in need.”
For those looking to contribute to relief efforts, American frequently offers a generous 10x AAdvantage miles bonus for donations toward disaster relief, and its Hurricane Florence partnership with the American Red Cross is no exception. Donors will receive 10x AAdvantage miles for a minimum donation to the American Red Cross through this link through September 21. The miles will be deposited into your AAdvantage mileage account 30 to 45 business days after the payment is made. We’ve also created a guide rounding up the best ways to support, from opening your home with Airbnb to donating hotel points.
Featured image courtesy of Daniel Cima/American Red Cross.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.