New Yorkers Are Losing a Short-Lived Nonstop Delta Flight to California
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Delta giveth, and Delta taketh away. Actually, that’s not entirely accurate — it’s John Wayne Airport doing the taking — but it’s a loss for New Yorkers regardless. In May of this year, Delta made a fairly big deal about a new route between New York (JFK) and Orange County (SNA). When announced, it was set to become the only nonstop from New York-JFK to John Wayne Airport, enabling those in the Big Apple to fly direct to Disneyland (or an Anaheim Ducks game, if that’s more your style).
That flight did indeed commence as scheduled on Oct. 15, 2018, but it’ll be no more in under three months total. TPG Managing Editor Alberto Riva set out to book a seat on this flight next year, but noticed that it wasn’t popping up anywhere after early January. The route was intriguing for many reasons, including the fact that at nearly 2,500 miles, it was one of the — if not the — longest Boeing 737-700 routes in the lower 48. (United’s nonstop EWR-SNA flight checks in a few miles shorter.)
When TPG reached out to Delta for comment, the answer was revealed: “Delta has made the tough decision to end service between its New York-JFK hub and John Wayne Orange County Airport effective Jan. 5, 2019 due to slot allocation awards from John Wayne Orange County Airport. Delta was awarded one fewer slot in 2019 than in 2018. While disappointed with this outcome, Delta will continue to explore future opportunities to offer the service going forward.”
It’s a bummer for all involved, particularly given that Delta has recently doubled-down on its nonstop routes into the LA basin. It’s also a reminder that commercial flight mapping is complex, and when airports shuffle slot allotments things like this can happen.
If you’re a Delta loyalist who has already flown all of its longest and shortest flights, you’ve but a few weeks to book a seat on what will no doubt become one of the shortest running DL nonstops of all time. One-way award seats are pricing out as low as 14,500 SkyMiles (and as high as 53,000) for the remaining dates, while cash rates start at around $180 for basic economy.
Once the flight is relegated to a memory, you’ll likely find yourself jockeying for position on one of Delta’s many JFK-LAX nonstops. Or, taking the leisurely route to Palm Springs (PSP), Ontario (ONT) or Long Beach (LGB) with a connection in between.
Featured image at JFK by Alberto Riva / The Points Guy
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees