Delta Moving Exclusively to Boeing 767-300ER on New York to Los Angeles Route
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Starting this fall, you won’t have to wonder which aircraft type will shuttle you between New York–JFK and Los Angeles when flying Delta. The airline confirmed with TPG that it will shift away from a multi-aircraft schedule to one that relies exclusively on Boeing’s 767-300ER.
Specifically, Delta says that beginning in the fall, the airline will move “from a mixed fleet of 757s and 767s on JFK-LAX to a consistent 767-300ER aircraft type, differentiating Delta as the only carrier to offer wide-body service and direct aisle access in business class on every flight between New York and Los Angeles.”
TPG’s own Julian Mark Kheel reviewed Delta’s 767-300ER between JFK and LAX earlier this year. He noted that “while the business-class cabin features lie-flat seats and all-aisle seat access, it’s a dated product that has seen better days.”
Nevertheless, the move will likely be seen as an upgrade for those who frequent the route in Delta One, and even coach passengers have something to look forward to.
The 2-3-2 layout in the main cabin allows Delta to claim the fewest middle seats on the route as compared to rival airlines. To boot, Comfort+ and coach passengers will receive their choice of one of three complimentary meals, while Delta One customers are able to select their meals in advance and will soon see new Tumi amenity kits.
We’ve ranked every Delta Air Lines premium seat from best to worst, with the Thompson Vantage seat aboard the Boeing 767-300ER situated one spot above the transcontinental 757 seat. Unfortunately, the 767-300ER won’t receive the same retrofit that’s coming to Delta’s fleet of 767-400ER jets.
Based on schedule searches on Delta.com, it appears that the 767-300ER switchover is planned for Nov. 4, 2019, when all 10 of Delta’s nonstop flights from JFK to LAX are scheduled to be using that aircraft.
Featured image of Delta’s Boeing 767-300ER by Julian Mark Kheel.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees