Delta opens new boutique Sky Club at its Detroit hub
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Delta’s Sky Club network continues to grow.
This time, it’s the airline’s Detroit (DTW) hub that’s receiving some love, with the much-anticipated opening of the airport’s fifth Sky Club on Tuesday, Dec. 7.
The new club, located in Concourse A across from Gate A43, is on the small side. At just 4,600 square feet, it seats up to 100 travelers — a tiny fraction of the many Delta flyers who have access to the lounge each day that pass through Detroit.
Based on the photos that Delta shared in its press release, the lounge was built with the airline’s latest Sky Club design, including plenty of local artwork, upgraded furnishings and a redesigned bar area. The bar features plenty of premium buy-up offerings, ranging from sommelier-curated wines to specialty cocktails.
“The opening of a fifth Delta Sky Club in Detroit demonstrates our investment in the city and our customers’ demand for Club experiences,” said Claude Roussel, managing director of Delta Sky Clubs in a statement. “We’ve put care into every detail — from the local artwork to the Club design – to create an elevated experience for guests and provide a space that allows them to rest easy this holiday season,” he added.
Delta’s new Sky Club is open daily from 6 a.m. until 10 p.m. Travelers who pass through Detroit often might recall that this space used to be a Lufthansa lounge before Delta took it over.
A Detroit-based TPG reader went to the lounge opening on Tuesday and shared some observations about the new space. It got “packed” just minutes after it opened, but the crowds fizzled out later in the morning. Travelers reappeared in droves around the 11 a.m. ribbon-cutting ceremony, the reader added.
The “decor and restrooms are really nice,” according to the reader. Travelers passing through the lounge on day one received a small Tumi-branded pouch, filled with some Detroit-themed giveaways including a postcard and Sanders chocolates. These swag bags were gone by 4:30 p.m.
The new Detroit outpost is Delta’s newest club and joins recently opened lounges in Salt Lake City and Fort Lauderdale. The Atlanta-based airline is promising more exciting openings next year at Los Angeles (poised to be the airline’s largest club), along with New York LaGuardia and “other key markets.”
Featured photo courtesy of Delta
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees