Delta begins GOL separation in pivot to LATAM Airlines
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Atlanta-based Delta had sold its 9% stake in GOL by the close-of-business on Dec. 10, the latter airline said on Tuesday. The amount of the sale, which occurred over several days, was not disclosed.
Delta valued its stake in GOL at $256 million at the end of September.
The sale was expected following Delta’s tie-up with LATAM. Delta CEO Ed Bastian said in September that the airline would “regrettably be exiting” its stake in GOL whose network was limited to just Brazil. LATAM’s network, by comparison, covers South America with major bases in Lima (LIM), Santiago (SCL) in Chile, and São Paulo (GRU).
Delta and GOL are also expected to end their codeshare, frequent flyer and lounge partnerships, though no timeline has been given.
Susannah Thurston, a spokeswoman for Delta, confirmed that the sale was a step towards the airline’s strategic partnership with LATAM.
Delta and LATAM plan form a joint venture covering flights between South America and the U.S. They expect to reach a pact, which will allow them to operate as essentially a single airline in the market, next year with regulatory approvals likely stretching into 2021.
GOL executives have said the airline is seeking new partners, with many expecting a tie up with American Airlines.
GOL is the largest carrier in Brazil. The airline carried nearly 37% of the 78.3 million passengers that flew in the country between January and October, data from Brazil’s aviation regulator ANAC show. LATAM had a 32% share over the same period.
Featured image by Fabrizio Gandolfo/SOPA Images/LightRocket via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees