Delta begins GOL separation in pivot to LATAM Airlines
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Atlanta-based Delta had sold its 9% stake in GOL by the close-of-business on Dec. 10, the latter airline said on Tuesday. The amount of the sale, which occurred over several days, was not disclosed.
Delta valued its stake in GOL at $256 million at the end of September.
The sale was expected following Delta’s tie-up with LATAM. Delta CEO Ed Bastian said in September that the airline would “regrettably be exiting” its stake in GOL whose network was limited to just Brazil. LATAM’s network, by comparison, covers South America with major bases in Lima (LIM), Santiago (SCL) in Chile, and São Paulo (GRU).
Delta and GOL are also expected to end their codeshare, frequent flyer and lounge partnerships, though no timeline has been given.
Susannah Thurston, a spokeswoman for Delta, confirmed that the sale was a step towards the airline’s strategic partnership with LATAM.
Delta and LATAM plan form a joint venture covering flights between South America and the U.S. They expect to reach a pact, which will allow them to operate as essentially a single airline in the market, next year with regulatory approvals likely stretching into 2021.
GOL executives have said the airline is seeking new partners, with many expecting a tie up with American Airlines.
GOL is the largest carrier in Brazil. The airline carried nearly 37% of the 78.3 million passengers that flew in the country between January and October, data from Brazil’s aviation regulator ANAC show. LATAM had a 32% share over the same period.
Featured image by Fabrizio Gandolfo/SOPA Images/LightRocket via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: Up to 100,000 bonus miles
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,040
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X miles on United® purchases
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80K bonus miles after you spend $5,000 on purchases in the first 3 months your account is open. Plus, an additional 20K bonus miles after you spend $10,000 in the first 6 months
- $250 Annual Fee
- Earn 3X miles on United® purchases, 2X miles at restaurants, on select streaming services & all other travel, 1X on all other purchases
- Earn 3X miles on United Airlines purchases
- Earn 2X miles at restaurants and on select streaming services
- Earn 2X miles on all other travel
- Earn 1X mile on all other purchases
- Each year, receive a $125 credit on United® purchases and two 5k-mile anniversary award flight credits. Terms apply.