Delta Adds a Nonstop Flight from New York to Bogota, Colombia
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Beginning Dec. 21, 2019, Delta Air Lines will once again serve Bogota, Colombia, from New York’s John F. Kennedy International Airport. The carrier flew between the two locales a decade ago, but has only operated flights between Bogota and its headquarters in Atlanta of late.
This winter, Delta will (re)join Avianca and United in serving El Dorado International Airport (BOG) from the greater New York City area. It’ll be a daily nonstop flight operated by a Boeing 757-200 with 20 First Class, 29 Delta Comfort+ and 150 Main Cabin seats.
- DL253: Departs New York-JFK at 6:10pm ⇒ Arrives Bogota at 12:05am (next day)
- DL254: Departs Bogota at 1:10am ⇒ Arrives New York-JFK at 7:00am
While the nonstop route is a boon to those based in either city, it’s a poor option for Delta loyalists that have to connect. Not only are flights pricing out more expensive in both cash and points compared to service through Atlanta, but there are two other factors that make Atlanta a far better connecting spot to Bogota.
First, Delta is upgauging its Atlanta-Bogota route this winter, using a Boeing 767-300 with lie-flat beds in business class. The 757-200 used on the New York-Bogota route offers domestic first-class seats, which do not fold flat and offer just 35 to 37 inches of pitch.
For a flight lasting nearly six hours, we’d suggest routing through Atlanta if you’re splurging on the forward cabin. You can get an idea of the experience by reading our Delta 757 reviews between New York and San Francisco, and New York and Seattle.
Moreover, the timing of the New York-Bogota flight is not ideal. The outbound from New York arrives in Colombia just after midnight, but it’s the return that appears particularly painful. A 1:10am departure and 7:00am arrival equals a woefully short redeye on a plane with no lie-flat seats. Meanwhile, Delta’s Bogota-Atlanta flight departs at a far saner 9:00am and arrives at 2:12pm.
If you’re planning a trip to Colombia, be sure to check out our coverage below.
- The Best Times to Visit Colombia
- 9 Reasons Bogotá Should Be On Your Travel Bucket List
- Colombian Colonial Chic: A Review of the Four Seasons Casa Medina Bogotá
- Hotel Review: A ‘Wonderful’ Room at the W Bogotá in Colombia
Featured photo of Four Seasons Casa Medina Bogotá by Nick Ellis/The Points Guy.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees