Delta Adds a Nonstop Flight from New York to Bogota, Colombia
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Beginning Dec. 21, 2019, Delta Air Lines will once again serve Bogota, Colombia, from New York’s John F. Kennedy International Airport. The carrier flew between the two locales a decade ago, but has only operated flights between Bogota and its headquarters in Atlanta of late.
This winter, Delta will (re)join Avianca and United in serving El Dorado International Airport (BOG) from the greater New York City area. It’ll be a daily nonstop flight operated by a Boeing 757-200 with 20 First Class, 29 Delta Comfort+ and 150 Main Cabin seats.
- DL253: Departs New York-JFK at 6:10pm ⇒ Arrives Bogota at 12:05am (next day)
- DL254: Departs Bogota at 1:10am ⇒ Arrives New York-JFK at 7:00am
While the nonstop route is a boon to those based in either city, it’s a poor option for Delta loyalists that have to connect. Not only are flights pricing out more expensive in both cash and points compared to service through Atlanta, but there are two other factors that make Atlanta a far better connecting spot to Bogota.
First, Delta is upgauging its Atlanta-Bogota route this winter, using a Boeing 767-300 with lie-flat beds in business class. The 757-200 used on the New York-Bogota route offers domestic first-class seats, which do not fold flat and offer just 35 to 37 inches of pitch.
For a flight lasting nearly six hours, we’d suggest routing through Atlanta if you’re splurging on the forward cabin. You can get an idea of the experience by reading our Delta 757 reviews between New York and San Francisco, and New York and Seattle.
Moreover, the timing of the New York-Bogota flight is not ideal. The outbound from New York arrives in Colombia just after midnight, but it’s the return that appears particularly painful. A 1:10am departure and 7:00am arrival equals a woefully short redeye on a plane with no lie-flat seats. Meanwhile, Delta’s Bogota-Atlanta flight departs at a far saner 9:00am and arrives at 2:12pm.
If you’re planning a trip to Colombia, be sure to check out our coverage below.
- The Best Times to Visit Colombia
- 9 Reasons Bogotá Should Be On Your Travel Bucket List
- Colombian Colonial Chic: A Review of the Four Seasons Casa Medina Bogotá
- Hotel Review: A ‘Wonderful’ Room at the W Bogotá in Colombia
Featured photo of Four Seasons Casa Medina Bogotá by Nick Ellis/The Points Guy.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.