All you need to know about Sentri, the only trusted traveler program available widely to foreign travelers
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Editor’s note: This story is continually updated
Thus far, I’ve detailed three of the five trusted traveler programs designed to assist travelers in passing through security lines at U.S. airports and crossing domestic borders.
This week, I take a look at Sentri, the Mexican counterpart to Nexus, which, unlike other TTPs, is accessible to foreign travelers outside of the U.S.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
Here are this week’s top five questions:
1. What is Sentri?
Sentri not only allows drivers (or walkers) expedited passage into the U.S. from Canada and Mexico via Sentri-specific lanes but also grants access to TSA PreCheck lanes at airports within the U.S. and overseas territories.
The other big TTPs, Global Entry, TSA PreCheck and Nexus, are primarily restricted to U.S. citizens and lawful permanent residents, although Canadian citizens/permanent residents can use Nexus. Sentri, on the other hand, is open to all those groups plus all foreign nationals.
“SENTRI was established to expedite movement along the Southwest Land Border of eligible, pre-screened, low-risk, pre-approved travelers through designated vehicle traffic lanes,” says the U.S. Department of Homeland Security. “There is no citizenship or residency requirement to apply for SENTRI.”
Despite this, Sentri is most beneficial for people who live in or frequently cross border states, specifically those along the northern border with Canada or southern border with Mexico.
2. How do I apply for Sentri?
Interested people can apply for Sentri online, in addition to submitting a $122.50 fee.
“Applicants must voluntarily undergo a thorough biographical background check against criminal, law enforcement, customs, immigration, and terrorist indices; a 10-fingerprint law enforcement check; and a personal interview with a Customs and Border Protection (CBP) Officer,” per the DHS.
If your application is approved, you’ll be asked to schedule and attend an in-person appointment at one of 13 locations across Arizona, California and Texas.
Currently, the soonest available appointments are in Laredo and Mission, Texas, so note that you may have to wait for an appointment depending on your desired enrollment center location.
Once approved, a Sentri membership lasts for five years.
3. Are there any other application steps?
In order to access a Sentri lane, all vehicles must be registered. Those registered as part of your initial application to the program are free; however, any additional vehicle registrations cost $42 per car.
You can register up to four vehicles for use in the Sentri lanes and up to eight members per vehicle.
“Approved SENTRI members are able to use the Global Entry kiosks when re-entering the United States by air and TSA Pre-check, as long as they meet the citizenship requirements for Global Entry and their fingerprints and passports are on file,” says the DHS.
4. Does Nexus allow me to use the Sentri lanes (and vice versa) when traveling back to the US from Mexico?
Per the DHS, Sentri members are not “entitled to any benefits under the NEXUS program through their SENTRI membership,” but Nexus members have the option to register their vehicle for use in Sentri lanes when entering the U.S. from Mexico.
5. Is there a way to expedite a Sentri application when I already hold a Nexus card?
Unfortunately, no. Your status in one program does not affect the speed at which your application is processed for another.
Featured photo by stellalevi/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees