Deal alert: US mainland to Hawaii from $296 round-trip
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Hawaii reopened to U.S. travelers earlier this month. You no longer need to quarantine upon arrival, but you need to be tested for COVID-19 and receive a negative result before entering the state. And once you’re there, you’ll need to navigate a different set of rules for each island.
For more TPG news and deals delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter here.
Nevertheless, in a move that likely will lure more visitors to the islands, airlines are offering discounted fares from all across the U.S. mainland, with several of them being nonstop options.
If you want to book a trip to take advantage of the great prices but don’t have all the details worked out, you can book worry-free as airlines have enacted customer-friendly travel policies this year, like waiving change fees for good. However, you’ll want to keep track of the airline cancellation policies and any coronavirus-related updates.
The cheapest flights originate on the West Coast at hubs like Los Angeles (LAX) and Phoenix (PHX). Tickets originating further east in cities like Chicago (ORD), Dallas (DFW) and New York-JFK are more expensive, but still reasonable, considering the length of the journey.
To search, head to Google Flights and enter your origin and destination cities. Scroll through the calendar function to find dates and prices that work for you. Finally, click through to book directly with the airline or through an OTA like Priceline or Expedia.
We first heard about these flights through Secret Flying.
Airlines: Alaska, American
Routes: LAX/PHX/DFW/ORD/JFK to HNL/KOA/OGG
Cost: From $296 round-trip in economy
Travel Dates: December 2020 – February 2021
Pay With: The Platinum Card® from American Express (5x on flights booked directly with airlines or American Express Travel; on up to $500,000 on these purchases per calendar year, starting Jan. 1, 2021), Citi Prestige® Card (5x on airfare), Citi Premier® Card (3x on airfare), Chase Sapphire Reserve (3x on travel), American Express® Gold Card (3x on airfare booked directly with the airline or amextravel.com) or the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on travel)
The information for the Citi Prestige has been collected independently by The Points Guy. The card details on this page have not been reviewed or provided by the card issuer.
Here’s an example of what you can book:
Phoenix (PHX) to Kona (KOA) for $296 round-trip nonstop on American Airlines:
Los Angeles (LAX) to Maui (OGG) for $296 round-trip nonstop on American Airlines:
Chicago (ORD) to Honolulu (HNL) for $389 round-trip on American Airlines:
Dallas-Ft. Worth (DFW) to Honolulu (HNL) for $401 round-trip on American Airlines:
New York-JFK (JFK) to Maui (OGG) for $453 round-trip on Alaska Airlines:
Maximize your purchase
Don’t forget to use a credit card that earns additional points on airfare purchases, such as The Platinum Card® from American Express (5x on flights booked directly with airlines or American Express Travel), Citi Prestige® Card (5x on airfare), Chase Sapphire Reserve, American Express® Gold Card, Citi Premier® Card (3x on airfare) or the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on all travel purchases). Check out this post for more on maximizing airfare purchases.
Featured photo by Sam Antonio Photography / Getty Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees