Couple Says They Fell Ill at the Same Dominican Republic Resort Where 3 Americans Mysteriously Died
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Following the mysterious deaths of three Americans at the Grand Bahia Principe hotel in La Romana in the Dominican Republic, a couple from Colorado now claims that they fell ill at the very same resort in June 2018.
ABC News reported that Kaylynn Knull and her boyfriend, Tom Schwander, began feeling ill on their vacation after smelling a strong fume-like scent in their hotel room. “As soon as we came back to the room, we noticed it smelled like somebody had dumped paint everywhere,” Knull told ABC Denver affiliate KMGH in a recent interview. “We were drooling excessively. My eyes would not stop watering.”
The couple changed rooms, but the bizarre symptoms persisted. They later woke up at 4am “soaked in sweat” and made the call to book a flight home immediately. “I was having the worst intestinal cramping I have ever experienced. It felt like a chainsaw going through my gut,” Knull said. When the couple returned home to Colorado, they visited a doctor who diagnosed their condition as a potential poisoning by organophosphate, a form of insecticide that Knull believes was being used on plants around the Grand Bahia Principe.
The couple then sued the resort for $1 million after management refused to reveal the chemical used on its grounds or refund their money. However, KMGH reported that the case has since stalled in local courts.
Since the Colorado couple’s case a year ago, three other guests at the Grand Bahia Principe hotel in La Romana have died from similar symptoms.
Miranda Schaupp-Werner, 41, was found dead in her room at the resort on May 25, and just five days later, couple Edward Nathaniel Holmes, 63, and Cynthia Ann Day, 49, were also found dead in their room. All deaths, according to the Dominican Republic National Police, had the same cause — respiratory failure and pulmonary edema. “This is the first time I’ve seen something like this,” Col. Frank Duran, director of communications for the Dominican Republic National Police, told ABC News on Wednesday. “The manner of deaths weren’t violent.”
Investigators from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) are currently awaiting the results of toxicology and pathology exams for the three victims. As of now, officials on the investigation say that there is no connection between these deaths.
Featured image by Eye Ubiquitous/UIG via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees