Country Singer Gretchen Wilson Arrested for ‘Belligerent’ Behavior Midflight
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Country singer Gretchen Wilson was arrested Tuesday night at Connecticut’s Bradley International Airport (BDL) for belligerent behavior toward fellow passengers and flight crew on board a plane from Washington, DC (DCA).
Fellow passengers said that the initial cause of Wilson’s unruly behavior stemmed from a dispute with another passenger over the plane’s lone bathroom. Wilson, who allegedly was flying first class, became annoyed at how long the other traveler was taking. When the other passenger finally swung open the door, almost hitting Wilson, the two women exchanged words and eventually got into a shoving match, according to eyewitnesses, who told TMZ that Wilson kept looking down the aisle at the passenger and exchanging threatening hand gestures, despite repeated warnings from flight attendants.
An American Airlines spokesperson tells TPG that Wilson was on its regional subsidiary PSA flight 5148, which arrived into BDL at 7:00pm and was operated by a CRJ-700 jet, which has one lone lavatory toward the back of the plane.
“American contacted law enforcement to meet PSA 5148 on Aug. 21 due to an altercation between two passengers,” the spokesperson confirmed to TPG.
When state troopers met Wilson on the tarmac, she allegedly threw her hands up in the air and demanded to be arrested. Per her request, she was arrested for second-degree breach of peace, with bond was set at $1,000. Wilson was originally scheduled to appear in Enfield Superior Court Wednesday before her performance at the Mohegan Sun Casino, located about 60 miles southeast of Bradley International Airport. However, the court date has been rescheduled for September.
This isn’t Wilson’s first instance of bad behavior in the skies. In 2007, Wilson was issued an in-flight citation for mouthing off to the flight crew, who had asked her to put her dog back in its carrier case.
Wilson is best known for her Grammy-winning hit single, “Redneck Woman.”
Featured photo by Terry Wyatt/Getty Images for IEBA.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees