Coronavirus cases skyrocket on stranded cruise ships; DOT says airlines cannot deny cash refunds, and more
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Every Saturday, we round up the top miles, points and travel news that you might have missed on TPG this week. Here’s what you need to know:
As of Thursday, 189 people from the Holland America Zaandam had exhibited flu-like symptoms. The Zaandam, along with numerous other cruise ships, has been stranded at sea for weeks as multiple ports have refused her entry, citing concerns over the sick passengers on board.
The ship, along with Holland America’s Rotterdam, was allowed to dock in Fort Lauderdale, Florida, on Friday. Chartered flights will ferry healthy passengers home.
There’s been a lot of debate on this topic, but the DOT has always been clear: Passengers whose flights are canceled can demand their money back.
It has to do with the tax waiver that was issued to help bail out struggling airlines.
This will help offset that increase in the annual fee this year.
Credit card debt doesn’t disappear when a cardholder dies, so here are some precautions everyone should take to leave their loved ones in good hands.
We have your pros-and-cons list.
Not all is doom and gloom: As a silver lining, a number of destinations are healing from overtourism.
Groceries are the secret weapon. And here’s your definitive guide to online grocery services.
Royal Air Maroc also joined the Oneworld family.
Here’s what you are and aren’t entitled to claim.
Featured photo by VAN PISARENKO/AFP/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide, eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.