Copa Airlines restarts US flights after five-month coronavirus hiatus
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Copa Airlines returns to Miami and New York later in August after suspending regular flights for more than five months because of the coronavirus pandemic.
The Panama-based Star Alliance carrier will return to Miami (MIA) and New York John F. Kennedy (JFK) with one or two weekly flights beginning on Aug. 21, according to Cirium schedules and confirmed by Copa. Travelers will be able to connect in Panama City (PTY) to at least four other destinations in Latin America initially.
Copa’s restart comes after it set down its scheduled passenger operations in March due to COVID-19. Travelers are only allowed to transit through Panama City, while local arrival restrictions remain in place.
In addition to Miami and New York, Copa will serve eight destinations in Latin America via Panama City, which CEO Pedro Heilbron called a sort of “mini-hub” in comments to investors on Aug. 5. Destinations include Guayaquil (GYE) and Quito (UIO) in Ecuador; Havana (HAV); Mexico City (MEX); Santiago, Chile (SCL); Santo Domingo (SDQ); São Paulo Guarulhos (GRU); and San Jose, Costa Rica (SJO).
“Once we’re up in the air flying with a small network, it’s very easy to take it from there and just increase service as demand shows up,” Heilbron said indicating that Copa plans to ramp up its schedule as travel restrictions ease.
Copa Airlines reports a $386mn net loss in 2Q20.
The airline very nearly shut down entirely during the period, with capacity down 99.5% yoy. Copa’s traffic was down 99.7% yoy. https://t.co/JSFLdXY4V5
— Edward Russell (@byerussell) August 5, 2020
Copa is one of the few major Latin American carriers that has not filed for bankruptcy since the crisis began. Aeromexico, Avianca and LATAM Airlines are all restructuring through the Chapter 11 process in the U.S. due to the impact of the pandemic on their businesses.
This does not mean the airline is immune to the crisis. Copa accelerated the retirement of its 14 Embraer E190s and is removing its 14 Boeing 737-700s. After the pandemic, the airline plans to fly just 737-800s and 737 MAXes.
In addition to being a Star member, Copa is a close partner of United Airlines. It is also working with United, Avianca and Azul on a possible four-way joint venture between the U.S. and South America that would allow the airlines to coordinate flights and ease travel for flyers.
Featured image by Alberto Riva / TPG.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees