Condor adds nonstop Frankfurt service to several US cities
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
May is just a few days away, and it’s going to be a month when one European carrier makes major changes to its U.S. flight schedule. Over the next few weeks, German leisure carrier Condor is going to add a long list of direct flights between Frankfurt International Airport (FRA) and several U.S. cities as the airline expands its U.S. flight schedule.
Los Angeles International Airport (LAX) is the largest U.S. airport that will begin direct service on Condor to Frankfurt. The airport reminded travelers of the upcoming flights in a tweet over the weekend.
LAX officials tweeted about the new service, although it’s worth noting that the photo the airport used of a Condor jet did not include an aircraft decked out in the Condor’s new brightly-striped livery unveiled earlier this month.
A new bird is landing at LAX just in time for the summer travel season! Starting May 24, @Condor will offer 3 non-stop flights to Frankfurt, Germany! With departures on Tuesdays, Fridays & Sundays, #Condor offers connecting flights to 100+ destinations throughout Europe! pic.twitter.com/iTyBtIzPbm
— LAX Airport (@flyLAXairport) April 24, 2022
As part of its service expansion this summer, Condor is also adding nonstop flights between Frankfurt and both New York-John F. Kennedy International Airport (JFK) and San Francisco (SFO).
The airport is also returning service it had suspended to Portland, Oregon (PDX), San Francisco (SFO), Phoenix/Sky Harbor (PHX), Boston/Logan (BOS), Minneapolis/St. Paul (MSP) and Baltimore/Washington (BWI).
The move follows a resumption of the airline’s service to Seattle/Tacoma (SEA), Las Vegas (LAS), Anchorage (ANC) and Fairbanks (FAI). Service to these airports had been suspended during the pandemic.
Condor’s vice president and area manager for North America, Mathias Freiss, cited unprecedented “pent-up demand” from U.S. travelers as a driving force behind the changes.
The first airport to add service to Frankfurt during the month of May will be JFK Airport in New York, with service starting May 6. Service between Frankfurt and LAX begins May 24 – shortly before Memorial Day weekend marks the unofficial start of summer and the season’s anticipated travel surge.
Booking your trip
If you’re considering travel to Germany this summer – and paying your trip outright without miles – Condor’s initial service might be a relatively affordable way for you to get there.
I checked flights from some of the cities where this service is starting up, and the prices are certainly less than you could often end up paying.
It looks like seats are available on Condor’s first flight from JFK to Frankfurt on Friday, May 6. The round trip, with a return on May 12, goes for $539. Of course, you’ll want to be sure you’re fully up to speed on what fees might be associated with your trip, and what size carry-on bag your particular ticket allows, regardless of the class of service you’re in.
Meanwhile, a round trip from LAX to Frankfurt on the first day of service – May 24 – with a return a week later goes for $759. The outbound, nonstop service is a flight close to 12 hours, with the return flight lasting about 12 and a half hours.
Getting into Germany
U.S. travelers who are fully vaccinated are able to get into Germany, under the country’s current COVID-19 protocols. Meanwhile, travelers who are not fully vaccinated can only get into the country if they can demonstrate “an important need to travel.” The German Foreign Ministry updates its COVID-19 restrictions and guidance here.
Travel from the U.S. to Europe is expected to surge this summer after two years where COVID-19 made things highly unusual. Airlines, like Condor, are taking notice of this demand.
This additional service is going to mean many more routes between the U.S. and Germany are operating by the time summer officially kicks off.
Featured photo courtesy of Condor.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs up to two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide including takeout and delivery in the U.S., and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $80 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck® after you apply through any Authorized Enrollment Provider. If approved for Global Entry, at no additional charge, you will receive access to TSA PreCheck.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees