You Can Own an Iconic Concorde Nose… for $250,000+
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The most famous and recognizable part of one the world’s most famous and iconic aircraft is going up for auction, and it could be yours forever.
The “droop nose” of a test specimen of the Concorde, currently housed in Kansas City, Missouri, will be auctioned off later this month, with auctioneers expecting the item to fetch at least $250,000.
A rare, yet recognizable piece like this from an aircraft type that has not flown for more than 15 years would make an amazing addition to any aviation enthusiast’s collection. If you’re thinking of bidding, you’ll need a pretty big mantlepiece on which to store this — the nose is 25 feet in length.
Despite the logistics of transporting and exhibiting such an unusually shaped and large item, auctioneer Jonathan Humbert told the BBC that the Concorde nose has “already generated global interest”, hence the expected high price tag.
While both British Airways and Air France operated the 14 Concordes produced for commercial services, this is a piece from a test specimen from the additional six aircraft produced for development and testing purposes. It did not belong to either of these airlines and is believed to have been manufactured in the 1960s.
If you’re interested in the possibility of taking home this piece of aviation history, the auction will take place at The Saleroom in Northamptonshire at 11am UK time on June 20, 2019, by auctioneers Humber & Ellis Ltd. You can also register to bid online here.
Starting bids have been set at $114,000, with a buyer’s premium of 23.4% (including sales tax). The lucky bidder will also be responsible for all transport costs from Missouri. US residents can bid, though payments will only be accepted by bankers draft or money order in pounds sterling.
Featured image by David Parker/BWP Media/Getty Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees