You Can Own an Iconic Concorde Nose… for $250,000+
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The most famous and recognizable part of one the world’s most famous and iconic aircraft is going up for auction, and it could be yours forever.
The “droop nose” of a test specimen of the Concorde, currently housed in Kansas City, Missouri, will be auctioned off later this month, with auctioneers expecting the item to fetch at least $250,000.
A rare, yet recognizable piece like this from an aircraft type that has not flown for more than 15 years would make an amazing addition to any aviation enthusiast’s collection. If you’re thinking of bidding, you’ll need a pretty big mantlepiece on which to store this — the nose is 25 feet in length.
Despite the logistics of transporting and exhibiting such an unusually shaped and large item, auctioneer Jonathan Humbert told the BBC that the Concorde nose has “already generated global interest”, hence the expected high price tag.
While both British Airways and Air France operated the 14 Concordes produced for commercial services, this is a piece from a test specimen from the additional six aircraft produced for development and testing purposes. It did not belong to either of these airlines and is believed to have been manufactured in the 1960s.
If you’re interested in the possibility of taking home this piece of aviation history, the auction will take place at The Saleroom in Northamptonshire at 11am UK time on June 20, 2019, by auctioneers Humber & Ellis Ltd. You can also register to bid online here.
Starting bids have been set at $114,000, with a buyer’s premium of 23.4% (including sales tax). The lucky bidder will also be responsible for all transport costs from Missouri. US residents can bid, though payments will only be accepted by bankers draft or money order in pounds sterling.
Featured image by David Parker/BWP Media/Getty Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.