Cockpit Issue Forces UA Flight From Beijing to DC to Turn Around
A United flight heading from Beijing (PEK) to Washington, DC (IAD), was forced to declare an emergency and turn around shortly after takeoff due to an issue in the cockpit.
UA808, operated by a Boeing 787-8 (registration N28912), was en route to Washington Dulles (IAD) when a “maintenance issue” occurred, after which the pilots diverted back to Beijing and landed the Dreamliner safely. The airline said that the flight’s passengers won’t be able to fly out of Beijing until Wednesday.
“United Flight 808 from Beijing to Washington Dulles returned to the airport shortly after takeoff due to a maintenance issue in the cockpit,” a United spokesperson told TPG in an email. “We are booking customers on a flight tomorrow and providing them with hotel rooms. We apologize to our passengers for any inconvenience caused by this delay in their travels.”
— AIRLIVE (@airlivenet) March 27, 2018
Welcome to The Points Guy!
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees