Cockpit Issue Forces UA Flight From Beijing to DC to Turn Around
A United flight heading from Beijing (PEK) to Washington, DC (IAD), was forced to declare an emergency and turn around shortly after takeoff due to an issue in the cockpit.
UA808, operated by a Boeing 787-8 (registration N28912), was en route to Washington Dulles (IAD) when a “maintenance issue” occurred, after which the pilots diverted back to Beijing and landed the Dreamliner safely. The airline said that the flight’s passengers won’t be able to fly out of Beijing until Wednesday.
“United Flight 808 from Beijing to Washington Dulles returned to the airport shortly after takeoff due to a maintenance issue in the cockpit,” a United spokesperson told TPG in an email. “We are booking customers on a flight tomorrow and providing them with hotel rooms. We apologize to our passengers for any inconvenience caused by this delay in their travels.”
— AIRLIVE (@airlivenet) March 27, 2018
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.