Live now: Transfer your Citi Double Cash Card rewards to ThankYou Points
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Citi is a TPG advertising partner
When you’re looking for the best return on your credit card purchases, you have two primary earning categories: points/miles-earning cards or cash-back cards. One of the best cash-back cards around is the Citi® Double Cash Card. Despite having no annual fee, you can earn a solid 2% cash back on all purchases — 1% at the time of purchase and another 1% when you pay your balance.
However, there are some credit cards that are marketed as cash-back cards but the earnings can be made more valuable by transferring the rewards to a different credit card.
For example, the cash back earned through the Chase Freedom (No longer open to new applicants) (5% cash back on rotating categories up to $1,500 each quarter you activate) and Ink Business Cash Credit Card (5% cash back at office supply stores and on internet, cable and phone services on the first $25,000 spent in combined categories, each anniversary year) can be transferred to Ultimate Rewards points if you have an UR-earning card such as the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card or the Chase Sapphire Reserve. That means you can effectively earn 5x Ultimate Rewards points on many purchases by having the right lineup of cards.
The information for the Chase Freedom has been collected independently by The Points Guy. The card details on this page have not been reviewed or provided by the card issuer.
Now, the Citi Double Cash has just became another one of these cards. As of September 22, 2019, cardholders can convert their cash back to ThankYou Points via a linked ThankYou account. Members are receiving these emails:
As was previously shared, the transfer ratio is $1 to 100 ThankYou Points — meaning effectively a 1:1 ratio. This can now be seen on Double Cash Card accounts:
This is really good news, as the Citi Double Cash Card has just become a top everyday credit card with an effective 2x ThankYou Point earning rate on all purchases. TPG values ThankYou points at 1.7 cents each, meaning this card would effectively get at 3.4% return on all purchases.
The Citi Double Cash isn’t currently offering a sign-up bonus, which is understandable for a credit card with a solid 2% cash-back earning and no annual fee. Instead, the card is offering new cardholders a 0% intro APR for 18 months on balance transfers within the first four months of card opening (then a variable APR of 13.99% – 23.99% applies).
While we at TPG recommend that readers pay their balance in full each month, this could be a good option if you have outstanding credit card debt. Just note that there’s a balance transfer fee of either $5 or 3% of the amount of each transfer, whichever is greater. So, make sure that you’re going to save at least that much in interest from your current option.
Additional reporting by Carissa Rawson.
For the latest travel news, deals and points and miles tips please subscribe to The Points Guy daily email newsletter.
(Feature photo by Eric Helgas for The Points Guy)
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases.
- 2X points on dining at restaurants including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 2x total points on up to $1,000 in grocery store purchases per month from November 1, 2020 to April 30, 2021. Includes eligible pick-up and delivery services.