Citi Starts Issuing Contactless Cards
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Citi is a TPG advertising partner
Last year, TPG predicted that contactless cards would go through a growth period in 2019, and it appears that it has come true. Citi is following Chase, Capital One and American Express by offering more contactless cards in its portfolio.
Citi has reportedly begun rolling out contactless cards to new cardholders and those receiving a replacement card, according to Doctor of Credit. A Reddit user said they received a Citi® Double Cash Card card that was contactless. Other Reddit users reported receiving a contactless Citi Premier® Card and Citi Prestige® Card.
Citi confirmed to TPG that it is “working with” its partners to issue contactless cards. However, the issuer did not provide a timeline for the rollout other than to say that it would start with cards such as the Double Cash card, Citi Premier and others.
Citi is behind the curve here, as the other issuers have offered contactless cards for a while now. For instance, American Express offers several contactless cards, including The Platinum Card® from American Express, Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant™ American Express® Card and Hilton Honors American Express Aspire Card.
And finally, Capital One offers contactless Capital One Venture Rewards Credit Card, Capital One VentureOne Rewards Credit Card and Capital One Savor Cash Rewards Credit Card, among others. The information for the Capital One Savor Cash Rewards Credit Card has been collected independently by The Points Guy. The card details on this page have not been reviewed or provided by the card issuer.
Note that if you’re a Citi cardholder, the issuer is removing many travel and price protections from most — if not all — of its cards in September. Popular perks such as Trip Cancellation & Interruption Protection, Baggage Delay and Lost Baggage Protection, Citi Price Rewind, 90-Day Return Protection and many others were discontinued on Sept. 22, 2019.
The information for the Chase Freedom, Citi Prestige has been collected independently by The Points Guy. The card details on this page have not been reviewed or provided by the card issuer.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees