Citi Starts Issuing Contactless Cards
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Citi is a TPG advertising partner
Last year, TPG predicted that contactless cards would go through a growth period in 2019, and it appears that it has come true. Citi is following Chase, Capital One and American Express by offering more contactless cards in its portfolio.
Citi has reportedly begun rolling out contactless cards to new cardholders and those receiving a replacement card, according to Doctor of Credit. A Reddit user said they received a Citi® Double Cash Card card that was contactless. Other Reddit users reported receiving a contactless Citi Premier℠ Card and Citi Prestige® Card.
Citi confirmed to TPG that it is “working with” its partners to issue contactless cards. However, the issuer did not provide a timeline for the rollout other than to say that it would start with cards such as the Double Cash card, Citi Premier and others.
Citi is behind the curve here, as the other issuers have offered contactless cards for a while now. For instance, American Express offers several contactless cards, including The Platinum Card® from American Express, Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant™ American Express® Card and Hilton Honors American Express Aspire Card.
And finally, Capital One offers contactless Capital One® Venture® Rewards Credit Card, Capital One® VentureOne® Rewards Credit Card and Capital One® Savor® Cash Rewards Credit Card, among others. The information for the Capital One VentureOne and Capital One Savor Cash Rewards Credit Card has been collected independently by The Points Guy. The card details on this page have not been reviewed or provided by the card issuer.
Note that if you’re a Citi cardholder, the issuer is removing many travel and price protections from most — if not all — of its cards in September. Popular perks such as Trip Cancellation & Interruption Protection, Baggage Delay and Lost Baggage Protection, Citi Price Rewind, 90-Day Return Protection and many others were discontinued on Sept. 22, 2019.
The information for the Citi Premier and Citi Prestige has been collected independently by The Points Guy. The card details on this page have not been reviewed or provided by the card issuer.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.