Citi Starts Issuing Contactless Cards
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Last year, TPG predicted that contactless cards would go through a growth period in 2019, and it appears that it has come true. Citi is following Chase, Capital One and American Express by offering more contactless cards in its portfolio.
Citi has reportedly begun rolling out contactless cards to new cardholders and those receiving a replacement card, according to Doctor of Credit. A Reddit user said they received a Citi® Double Cash Card card that was contactless. Other Reddit users reported receiving a contactless Citi Premier℠ Card and Citi Prestige® Card.
Citi confirmed to TPG that it is “working with” its partners to issue contactless cards. However, the issuer did not provide a timeline for the rollout other than to say that it would start with cards such as the Double Cash card, Citi Premier and others.
Citi is behind the curve here, as the other issuers have offered contactless cards for a while now. For instance, American Express offers several contactless cards, including The Platinum Card® from American Express, Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant™ American Express® Card and Hilton Honors American Express Aspire Card.
Note that if you’re a Citi cardholder, the issuer is removing many travel and price protections from most — if not all — of its cards in September. Popular perks such as Trip Cancellation & Interruption Protection, Baggage Delay and Lost Baggage Protection, Citi Price Rewind, 90-Day Return Protection and many others were discontinued on Sept. 22, 2019.
The information for the Citi Premier, Citi Prestige has been collected independently by The Points Guy. The card details on this page have not been reviewed or provided by the card issuer.
This card from Bank of America gets really interesting if you have a BofA checking, savings or investment account. Depending on the value of your combined accounts you can potentially get as much as 3.5x points on travel/dining and 2.625x points on other purchases making it the richest consumer banking bonus out there.
- Receive 50,000 bonus points – a $500 value – after you make at least $3,000 in purchases in the first 90 days of account opening
- Earn unlimited 2 points for every $1 spent on travel and dining purchases and unlimited 1.5 points per $1 spent on all other purchases
- If you're a Bank of America Preferred Rewards member, you can earn 25%-75% more points on every purchase
- No limit to the points you can earn and your points don't expire
- Redeem for cash back as a statement credit, deposit into eligible Bank of America® accounts, credit to eligible Merrill accounts, or gift cards or purchases at the Bank of America Travel Center
- Get up to $200 in combined airline incidental and airport expedited screening statement credits + valuable travel insurance protections
- No Foreign Transaction Fees
- Low $95 annual fee