Citi adds American Airlines as a temporary transfer partner
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Citi is a TPG advertising partner.
On Sunday, Citi made waves in the points and miles world by announcing a new transfer partner for its ThankYou Rewards program: American Airlines.
Transferred ThankYou Points can be used to secure flights, flight upgrades, vacation packages, hotel stays, car rentals, and more, according to Citi and as first reported by Business Insider. Miles will be valid for 18 months once transferred.
Although Citi says the program is temporary, running from July 18 to Nov. 13, 2021, this is great news for Citi Prestige® Card, Citi Premier® Card, Citi Preferred (no longer available) and Citi Rewards+® Card cardmembers hoping to boost their AAdvantage miles stash and American Airlines loyalists who previously had to make do without a transferrable currency option. And hopefully, this first-time-ever partnership continues sticks for the long term.
For more TPG points tips and news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
While the Prestige and Premier cards have always allowed transfer to partner programs, this is a unique opportunity for the Preferred and Rewards+ which don’t typically allow you to transfer your points.
The more premium Prestige and Premier cards transfer at a 1:1 ratio, while the basic Preferred and Rewards+ cards transfer at a less optimal 2:1 ratio. You have to transfer in 1,000 point increments, but there’s no cap to the number of points you can transfer.
The information for the Citi Prestige has been collected independently by The Points Guy. The card details on this page have not been reviewed or provided by the card issuer.
Maximizing with the limited-time Citi Premier welcome offer
Although the Citi Prestige card is no longer available to new applicants, the second-tier ThankYou points-earning card, the Citi Premier, is offering a record-high 80,000 ThankYou points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first three months of account opening. The Premier Card earns 3x ThankYou points per dollar spent on hotels, air travel, restaurants, gas stations, and at supermarkets) and 1 point on all other spending. According to TPG valuations , these points are worth $1,360 — an impressive amount for a card with just a $95 annual fee.
American Airlines offers great opportunities if you’re looking to redeem your points on partner airlines, such as Qatar and Etihad. Having an extra 80,000 miles in your AAdvantage account can go quite far and open up many new travel opportunities.
Opportunities to redeem American Airline miles
One of the most straightforward ways to redeem AAdvantage miles is on American-operated flights. American charges relatively reasonable mileage rates for international flights, though domestic flights are relatively standard amounts for the travel industry.
American uses a region-based chart for pricing awards. While no price is any longer a guarantee, you should still be able to find flights such as:
- 60,000 miles for an economy round-trip flight to South America
- 57,500 miles for a business class one-way flight to Europe
- 12,500 for a domestic economy one-way flight
There are also plenty of options for redeeming miles on partner flights. See our full guide to redeeming AAdvantage miles here.
The Citi ThankYou Rewards program remains one of the best for credit card users looking for flexible cash-back options or travel rewards. In addition to American Airlines, Citi transfer partner airlines include Avianca, Singapore Airlines, Etihad, Virgin Atlantic, Cathay Pacific, and AirFrance/KLM. With a great welcome offer with the Citi Premier card and the opportunity to finally transfer points earned from the two basic Citi ThankYou cards — the Preferred and Rewards+ — this is a welcomed addition for points fanatics.
Additional Reporting by Jennifer Yellin.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees