This Airline May Overtake American Airlines for the World’s Largest Fleet
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
One of the world’s largest airlines has plans to grow signifigantly larger. China Southern wants to quadruple its fleet size and take on more partnerships to become a superpower in the world of aviation.
China Southern CEO Tan Wangeng said that he wants to grow the airline’s fleet to 2,000 aircraft by 2035. The SkyTeam carrier currently has about 786 passenger and cargo aircraft.
“We plan to have 1,000 aircraft by 2020 and by 2035 it will increase to 2,000,” Tan told the World Routes conference.
For context, American Airlines is currently the largest airline by fleet size, revenue and destinations served — with a total of about 948 aircraft it currently operates. Bloomberg says that number will fall to about 935 after new aircraft are delivered and others are retired. This means China Southern may have the world’s largest fleet of passenger aircraft in 2020.
Is it even possible to grow that large, and that quickly? In March, Flight Global reported that the airline is supposed to receive 309 aircraft through 2020 and that in 2018 alone its expected to take delivery of 115 jets including “61 Boeing 737-800s, 39 Airbus A320 family jets, 10 787-9s and five A330-300s.”
“By 2020 there will be 200 million outbound tourists from China. This provides us with a lot of opportunities for development,” Tan said.
However, the airline is eyeing to work with budget airlines who are becoming bigger and bigger players in China and Southeast Asia.
“All major airlines need partners and we are looking into the possibility of establishing more joint ventures. We haven’t tried with low-cost carriers yet, but we are considering how to cooperate with them,” Tan said.
Last week Boeing said it predicts China Southern will purchase 7,690 new jets over the next two decades. China is getting into the aircraft manufacturing industry itself — state-owned firm Commercial Aircraft Corporation of China delivered its first smaller regional jet in 2015 and will deliver its first mid-sized aircraft (C919) by 2021. The C919 is comparable in size to a Boeing 737 and it may be an aircraft that China Southern purchases one-day.
TPG flew in China Southern First Class aboard the carrier’s 777 and praised it for good award availability — although there were many areas where the carrier could improve.
Featured image by Alberto Riva / The Points Guy.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees