This Airline May Overtake American Airlines for the World’s Largest Fleet
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
One of the world’s largest airlines has plans to grow signifigantly larger. China Southern wants to quadruple its fleet size and take on more partnerships to become a superpower in the world of aviation.
China Southern CEO Tan Wangeng said that he wants to grow the airline’s fleet to 2,000 aircraft by 2035. The SkyTeam carrier currently has about 786 passenger and cargo aircraft.
“We plan to have 1,000 aircraft by 2020 and by 2035 it will increase to 2,000,” Tan told the World Routes conference.
For context, American Airlines is currently the largest airline by fleet size, revenue and destinations served — with a total of about 948 aircraft it currently operates. Bloomberg says that number will fall to about 935 after new aircraft are delivered and others are retired. This means China Southern may have the world’s largest fleet of passenger aircraft in 2020.
Is it even possible to grow that large, and that quickly? In March, Flight Global reported that the airline is supposed to receive 309 aircraft through 2020 and that in 2018 alone its expected to take delivery of 115 jets including “61 Boeing 737-800s, 39 Airbus A320 family jets, 10 787-9s and five A330-300s.”
“By 2020 there will be 200 million outbound tourists from China. This provides us with a lot of opportunities for development,” Tan said.
However, the airline is eyeing to work with budget airlines who are becoming bigger and bigger players in China and Southeast Asia.
“All major airlines need partners and we are looking into the possibility of establishing more joint ventures. We haven’t tried with low-cost carriers yet, but we are considering how to cooperate with them,” Tan said.
Last week Boeing said it predicts China Southern will purchase 7,690 new jets over the next two decades. China is getting into the aircraft manufacturing industry itself — state-owned firm Commercial Aircraft Corporation of China delivered its first smaller regional jet in 2015 and will deliver its first mid-sized aircraft (C919) by 2021. The C919 is comparable in size to a Boeing 737 and it may be an aircraft that China Southern purchases one-day.
TPG flew in China Southern First Class aboard the carrier’s 777 and praised it for good award availability — although there were many areas where the carrier could improve.
Featured image by Alberto Riva / The Points Guy.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.