Upgrades Coming to Chicago O’Hare as Terminal 5 Construction Begins
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
On Wednesday, a ground-breaking ceremony was held at Chicago’s O’Hare airport (ORD) to mark the start of construction on the new Terminal 5. On hand for the event were Chicago mayor Rahm Emanuel, United CEO Oscar Munoz, and other personnel from the airport and Chicago Department of Aviation.
The new terminal is slated to open sometime in 2021 and will be around 350,000 square feet larger than the current version. The new terminal will be designed with passengers in mind and is expected to boast plenty of amenities for passengers to enjoy to help pass the time as they wait for departures. The new terminal will also free up gates in Terminal 2 when Delta makes the move to the new terminal once opened, allowing the airport to further expand options for passengers.
“United is proud to partner with the city in ushering in a new era of travel in Chicago,” Munoz said. “The investments we are making in our Chicago hub, complemented by the renewed commitment and investments at our headquarters in Willis Tower downtown, will allow us to better serve our customers and employees as we continue to build a future United Airlines that is worthy of being known as Chicago’s hometown airline.”
For the latest travel news, deals and points and miles tips please subscribe to The Points Guy daily email newsletter.
Photos courtesy of the Chicago Department of Aviation
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases.
- 2X points on dining at restaurants including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 2x total points on up to $1,000 in grocery store purchases per month from November 1, 2020 to April 30, 2021. Includes eligible pick-up and delivery services.