There’s a workaround to getting cheap flights for the Tokyo Olympics
We know we don’t have to tell you this, but attending the 2020 Olympics in Tokyo will cost you.
The Summer Olympics draws hundreds of thousands of spectators, competitors and support staff to one city, which means that everything from flights to hotels and event tickets can be hard to find (and afford). Japan is even building a temporary terminal at Narita International (NRT) to handle the surge of visitors.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
If you’re traveling within Asia, flights are expected to be fairly reasonable, from $326 one-way. But travelers flying across the Pacific can expect to pay 20 to 25% more than usual.
The good news? There’s a workaround. If you book a ticket a week after the Opening Ceremony — which takes place on Friday, July 24 — airfares are expected to drop 24%. Since the Olympics run until Aug. 9, you’d still have over a week to enjoy the games.
Word to the wise: Stick around after the games and enjoy the city. From the food to the culture and everything in between, the city has so much to offer, and is preparing for the deluge of visitors with a number of new attractions and developments.
Train stations are being added and overhauled and the Meiji Jingu Museum just opened this fall next to Yoyogi Park — as did the Shibuya Scramble Square, a complex home to the nation’s largest rooftop observation space, called Shibuya Sky.
And even if you’re not planning on going to the Olympics, you should absolutely plan a trip to Tokyo this year. We know you have a lot to plan, so you’ll want to check out our guide on how to get there on points and miles first. Hhint: Japan Airlines first class is a good place to start, and we’ve seen a solid amount of ANA first- and business-class award space from multiple U.S. gateways for August and September 2020. You’ll have a ton of options for hotels, too, so do yourself a favor and check out our top picks on the best points hotels there, too.
Oh, and whatever you do, eat at a 7/11 while you’re there. You’ll thank us later.
Featured image courtesy of Matteo Colombo/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees