This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Japan’s busiest international airport will build a new terminal to cope with the influx of tourists for the Summer Olympics in 2020 — and then it will tear it down once the event’s over, according to the company that manages Narita International Airport (NRT).
The country hopes to see 40 million visitors the year of the Tokyo Olympics, and Narita has been readying its infrastructure for the deluge, including renovating all three of its permanent terminals, installing traveler-friendly bathrooms, getting permission to expand its operating hours and even installing walkways resembling an Olympic running track in Terminal 3. The Tokyo Summer Olympics will begin July 24 and end Aug. 9 in 2020.
Most international passengers in the entire nation go through Narita, which sees 34 million total passengers a year, according to World Atlas.
It wasn’t clear which airlines or flights the temporary terminal, announced at a press conference today by Narita International Airport Corp. President Makoto Natsume, would service, or when it would open to passengers. The terminal will shut down on Aug. 10, the day after the closing ceremonies. The company did not immediately return requests for comment.
Featured image of Narita Airport by MADSOLAR / Shutterstock.com
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points Terms Apply.
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: Delta Sky Club and Centurion lounge access, $200 annual airline fee credit and up to $200 in Uber credits annually
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees