Chase adds $120 in food delivery credits with Sapphire Reserve
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Well, Chase announced today, Jan. 8, 2020, that major changes coming to the premium Chase Sapphire Reserve — including a new $120 dining credit over the next two years, granted that comes after a $100 annual fee hike — not exactly what we had in mind.
Chase has partnered with DoorDash, the nation’s leading on-demand food platform, to offer both new and existing cardholders up to $60 in DoorDash statement credits throughout 2020 and $60 in additional DoorDash statement credits throughout 2021.
Unlike the dining credit available on the American Express® Gold Card (enrollment required for dining credit), the Reserve’s DoorDash credit will not be limited to monthly maximums. You’ll automatically receive a statement credit whenever you make an eligible DoorDash purchase with your Chase Sapphire Reserve, up to the $60 annual cap. This statement credit is added savings on top of the 3x you’ll earn on DoorDash purchases as part of the CSR’s dining bonus category.
As someone who uses DoorDash regularly (my favorite sushi place in Charlotte is one of the many great restaurants available on DoorDash), I’m extremely excited about this addition to the Chase Sapphire Reserve.
The new dining credit benefit is also accompanied by the previously announced complimentary DashPass membership. Chase Sapphire Reserve cardholders get a full year of membership, which comes with zero delivery from eligible restaurants and reduced service fees on orders more than $12. You do have to activate your free year of DashPass membership by Dec. 31, 2021.
These new benefits will take effect for both new and existing cardholders starting Jan. 12, 2020.
Related reading: Significant changes confirmed for Chase’s Sapphire Reserve card
The Chase Sapphire Reserve has been one of the top travel rewards credit cards available since its launch in 2016, with 3x on travel and dining, a flexible $300 travel credit, great travel protections, a strong welcome bonus and access to the valuable Chase Ultimate Rewards program. The addition of these dining benefits, alongside the other announced changes, makes this card even more competitive against The Platinum Card® from American Express and Citi Prestige® Card. The information for the Citi Prestige has been collected independently by The Points Guy. The card details on this page have not been reviewed or provided by the card issuer.
While it is unfortunate that these new benefits come with a higher $550 annual fee, those who plan to take full advantage of the new credits can still easily outweigh the added cost.
The card’s new benefits take effect on Jan. 12, 2020, for both new and existing cardholders.
Featured iphoto by Isabelle Raphael/The Points Guy
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.