Chase adds $120 in food delivery credits with Sapphire Reserve
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Well, Chase announced today, Jan. 8, 2020, that major changes coming to the premium Chase Sapphire Reserve — including a new $120 dining credit over the next two years, granted that comes after a $100 annual fee hike — not exactly what we had in mind.
Chase has partnered with DoorDash, the nation’s leading on-demand food platform, to offer both new and existing cardholders up to $60 in DoorDash statement credits throughout 2020 and $60 in additional DoorDash statement credits throughout 2021.
Unlike the dining credit available on the American Express® Gold Card (enrollment required for dining credit), the Reserve’s DoorDash credit will not be limited to monthly maximums. You’ll automatically receive a statement credit whenever you make an eligible DoorDash purchase with your Chase Sapphire Reserve, up to the $60 annual cap. This statement credit is added savings on top of the 3x you’ll earn on DoorDash purchases as part of the CSR’s dining bonus category.
As someone who uses DoorDash regularly (my favorite sushi place in Charlotte is one of the many great restaurants available on DoorDash), I’m extremely excited about this addition to the Chase Sapphire Reserve.
The new dining credit benefit is also accompanied by the previously announced complimentary DashPass membership. Chase Sapphire Reserve cardholders get a full year of membership, which comes with zero delivery from eligible restaurants and reduced service fees on orders more than $12. You do have to activate your free year of DashPass membership by Dec. 31, 2021.
These new benefits will take effect for both new and existing cardholders starting Jan. 12, 2020.
Related reading: Significant changes confirmed for Chase’s Sapphire Reserve card
The Chase Sapphire Reserve has been one of the top travel rewards credit cards available since its launch in 2016, with 3x on travel and dining, a flexible $300 travel credit, great travel protections, a strong welcome bonus and access to the valuable Chase Ultimate Rewards program. The addition of these dining benefits, alongside the other announced changes, makes this card even more competitive against The Platinum Card® from American Express and Citi Prestige® Card. The information for the Citi Prestige has been collected independently by The Points Guy. The card details on this page have not been reviewed or provided by the card issuer.
While it is unfortunate that these new benefits come with a higher $550 annual fee, those who plan to take full advantage of the new credits can still easily outweigh the added cost.
The card’s new benefits take effect on Jan. 12, 2020, for both new and existing cardholders.
Featured iphoto by Isabelle Raphael/The Points Guy
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees