Chase Ultimate Rewards Portal Now Filters For Basic Economy Fares
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Ah, the dreaded basic economy curse: How we hate the newest cost-cutting measure from airlines greedy to turn a little extra profit off of standard amenities such as seat selection and larger carry-on bags.
Now that all three major US carriers offer some version of basic economy, we’ve found the tiered economy status quickly becoming a reality of everyday domestic — and sometimes even international — travel. We’ve reviewed offerings from United, Delta and American, and the general consensus is that we’d prefer to never do it again if at all possible.
Fortunately for anyone who shares our sentiments, first Google Flights, and now the Chase Ultimate Rewards booking portal have made it a little easier for travelers to filter out basic economy fares when searching for flights. Here are some example searches of the Chase portal now showing side-by-side fares of different economy classes:
Airlines that don’t offer tiered economy fares were clearly marked in the portal with just a single price option, such as this JetBlue flight from JFK to SFO for $242, the same price as Delta’s basic economy fare.
Keep in mind, though, that the Chase Ultimate Rewards portal may not offer the cheapest available fares, so we always suggest doing your own due diligence to ensure you’re paying the best rate you can for the fare you want.
H/T: View From the Wing
Photo by Kwanchai_Khammuean/Getty Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees