Chase Ultimate Rewards Portal Now Filters For Basic Economy Fares
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Ah, the dreaded basic economy curse: How we hate the newest cost-cutting measure from airlines greedy to turn a little extra profit off of standard amenities such as seat selection and larger carry-on bags.
Now that all three major US carriers offer some version of basic economy, we’ve found the tiered economy status quickly becoming a reality of everyday domestic — and sometimes even international — travel. We’ve reviewed offerings from United, Delta and American, and the general consensus is that we’d prefer to never do it again if at all possible.
Fortunately for anyone who shares our sentiments, first Google Flights, and now the Chase Ultimate Rewards booking portal have made it a little easier for travelers to filter out basic economy fares when searching for flights. Here are some example searches of the Chase portal now showing side-by-side fares of different economy classes:
Airlines that don’t offer tiered economy fares were clearly marked in the portal with just a single price option, such as this JetBlue flight from JFK to SFO for $242, the same price as Delta’s basic economy fare.
Keep in mind, though, that the Chase Ultimate Rewards portal may not offer the cheapest available fares, so we always suggest doing your own due diligence to ensure you’re paying the best rate you can for the fare you want.
H/T: View From the Wing
Photo by Kwanchai_Khammuean/Getty Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.