Beware: Phishing Email Targets Chase Customers
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
It’s one of the oldest tricks in the book — scammers send a generic email to thousands or millions of email accounts, prompting the recipient to click a link and “log in” with their account credentials. Rather than granting access to the site as expected, usernames and passwords are transmitted directly to the scammers, who can in turn use that information to access your account.
This week, a new email is making the rounds. TPG Lounge member Hannah Goh shared a message she received that appeared to be from Chase. While a close examination of the email text makes it clear that it’s not authentic, it’s easy enough to skim the message, click the link and accidentally hand over your banking credentials.
The email text begins:
“Dear Chase Customer: Just to let you know that we noticed unusual activities on your Account during our regular update today. It is either your details have been changed or incomplete…”
It goes on to prompt the recipient to “verify your details to regain access to credit or debit card.” If you click the link and enter your credentials, they’ll be instantly transmitted to the bad guys. No bueno.
As Hannah suggests in her post, you should forward any such messages to a dedicated address at your bank. I’ve rounded up some key contacts below:
- Amex: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Bank of America: email@example.com
- Capital One: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Chase: email@example.com
- Citi: firstname.lastname@example.org
You should also forward the message to the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) spam address at email@example.com, and consider sharing it in the TPG Lounge, giving your fellow points and miles enthusiasts a heads up.
If you do click a link and unintentionally transmit your credentials, be sure to change your password immediately — for that account and anywhere else you use those details online, since criminals can use your username and password to access other websites, too. This also serves as a good reminder to ensure that two-factor authentication is turned on, and to review and follow our 6 Tips for Keeping Your Credit Card Safe Online.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees