Beware: A Phishing Scam Is Posing as Delta for Your Data
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
A new email phishing scam is reportedly making its way around frequent flyers’ inboxes.
This time, hackers are posing as Delta Air Lines in an attempt to steal your information. And, as René’s Points reports, the scam looks pretty legit.
The email is said to have the subject line “Your Delta SkyMiles Account will be closed,” and it asks the receiver to follow a link to “update your Delta SkyMiles account information.” The scammers are hoping you will click their bad link and provide them with some of your personal data.
These scammers worked hard to make their fake email look authentic — with Delta logos and branding — and they even emulate the exact layout of a SkyMiles message. But, if you hover over the embedded link the message is asking readers to click and take a closer look, you’ll see it is not a Delta link, but a more nefarious, insecure address.
If you do get this email, do not click the link. Just by clicking, you risk granting scammers a chance to install programs like malware or ransomware on your device.
A good rule of thumb to prevent yourself from accidentally falling for an email scam, according to the Federal Trade Commission’s consumer arm, is to avoid clicking links in emails from companies or organizations. Instead, go to the company’s home page in a new browser tab and login from there. That way, you know it’s secure.
Scammers are known to target accounts like credit cards and frequent flyer logins, where valuable financial information can be harvested. Never respond to emails that request personal or financial information.
Phishing scams often use intimidation or pressure techniques (i.e., your account will be shutdown, you won’t get your tax refund) to get you to act quickly before thinking carefully. If that’s the case and it seems urgent, call the company on a trusted customer service line (not listed in the email) and inquire from there.
Turning on two-factor authentication for accounts that offer it is a good way to add an extra layer of security, too. Two-factor authentication requires your password and another piece of information (like a code sent to your phone) to gain access to your account. With this feature, if hackers do get your password, they will still have trouble logging in.
The FTC also recommends forwarding the phishing email to firstname.lastname@example.org — and to the organization impersonated in the email — to help shut down the scam.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees