What Chase’s new booking platform acquisition could mean for you
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
On Monday, JP Morgan Chase announced the acquisition of cxLoyalty Group’s loyalty division, a third-party loyalty program that currently serves 70 million customers worldwide. The company’s extensive client portfolio includes Citi, Capital One and Mastercard. The move gives Chase ownership of the company’s technology, travel, gift card and point businesses.
For the latest travel news, deals and points and miles tips, sign up for our daily newsletter.
Chase has been expanding its reach in the loyalty world, so it is better positioned for success when the pandemic ends. In addition to this acquisition, Chase recently announced a new partnership with Aeroplan that will result in a new co-branded credit card and the addition of an Ultimate Rewards transfer partner next year.
If cxLoyalty sounds familiar, that’s because the company operated the Chase Ultimate Rewards Travel platform until 2018, when Expedia replaced it. This acquisition means Chase will end its partnership with Expedia and we’ll get a new Chase Ultimate Rewards portal.
That is welcome news since the Ultimate Rewards portal has been plagued with issues since the move to Expedia two years ago. The return to its pre-Expedia platform will hopefully eliminate many of the customer service and tech issues customers have complained about over the last two years.
Chase’s acquisition of a loyalty program during a massive downturn in travel demand signals confidence in the industry rebounding next year. According to Marianne Lake, head of Chase’s consumer division, “People across the globe want to vacation and travel again, and hopefully that will become a reality for many in the near future. Acquiring the travel and rewards businesses of cxLoyalty will provide enhanced experiences to our millions of Chase customers once they are ready, comfortable and confident to travel.”
Featured photo by JOHANNES EISELE/AFP via Getty Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees