CDC moves 8 nations to its highest travel risk level — including Spain, Monaco and Finland
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Spain joined America’s growing list of no-go nations today, as omicron continues to bulldoze festive plans across the world.
The holiday hotspot was among eight new destinations deemed by the Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) as “Level 4: COVID-19 Very High”, bringing the number of nations on their “avoid” list to 88.
For more TPG news delivered daily to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
The other seven were the tropical Caribbean isle of Bonaire and billionaire’s playground Monaco, as well as Chad, Lebanon, Gibraltar, San Marino and Finland.
“Level 4: COVID-19 Very High” is the health watchdog’s highest-risk COVID-19 category, where more than 500 new cases per 100,000 people are recorded in the last 28 days. It already includes most of the rest of Europe.
But adding Spain to the list will be a special blow to many American Europhiles — last year, Spain welcomed more international visitors than almost every other nation in the world, bar France, according to the UN’s World Tourism Organization.
The update was also a gut punch to luxe-travelers planning to rub shoulders with the world’s “yachterati” this winter, as wealth-mecca Monaco was also added to the list.
While most of the newly-upgraded nations had come from Level 3, Monaco, Gibraltar and San Marino, in fact, had previously sat in the “unknown” risk category. Destinations are put there when there is a lack of reliable information coming from them to the CDC.
The world is bracing itself for another COVID-19 Christmas this year, as nations from all corners begin again to tighten restrictions on public life amid surging Omicron cases.
One of the worst-hit continents is Europe, where more than 40 nations are on the CDC’s Level 4 list.
Among the most popular holiday destinations are France, the United Kingdom, Ireland, Germany, Italy and Greece.
Other popular holiday destinations in the no-go division are Belize, Singapore, Turkey and South Africa.
As for Level 3 (“Make sure you are fully vaccinated before travel”), just two new countries joined today. Peru was upgraded from Level 3 while there was a glimmer of good news for St. Vincent and the Grenadines where COVID-19 cases have been steadily declining since October. The Caribbean chain of islands received the rare accolade of a downgrade from Level 4.
In its broader travel guidance, the CDC has recommended avoiding all international travel until you are fully vaccinated.
Featured image by David Navarro Azurmendi/Getty Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs up to two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide including takeout and delivery in the U.S., and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $80 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck® after you apply through any Authorized Enrollment Provider. If approved for Global Entry, at no additional charge, you will receive access to TSA PreCheck.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees