CDC director says pre-departure COVID-19 testing for domestic travel may reduce transmission
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
During a press briefing on Monday, Director of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) Rochelle Walensky said that pre-flight testing prior to domestic flights would help to stop the spread of COVID-19 across the U.S., reports Bloomberg
“The more screening that we’re doing in places where people are gathering, I think the more asymptomatic disease we will be detecting,” Walensky said.
During the briefing, there was no confirmation as to whether the Biden administration would implement such measures. The idea of pre-flight testing for domestic flights within the U.S. first surfaced in January.
“So there’s a conversation underway with the CDC on that. What I can tell you is that the guiding lights of that conversation will be a lot of engagement and dialogue and a lot of attention to evidence and data.”
He told CNN that it’s different to pre-testing for international flights, “I’d say the domestic picture is very different, but you know the CDC is always evaluating what can best be done to keep American people safe,” Buttigieg said. “I would say that the CDC is looking at all its options.”
In the same interview, Buttigieg explained that as it stands, the Biden administration is not considering requiring flyers to provide proof of vaccination to be able to travel.
“I think right now the focus, especially at a time when most Americans haven’t had a vaccine, haven’t had access to vaccine, is to make sure while we’re getting those vaccinations out to everybody we possibly can, that we are also maintaining those measures that we also know work, like masks,” he said.
During Monday’s press briefing, Walensky encouraged Americans to stay at home. Despite a reduction in cases, Walensky warned officials at the state and local level to refrain from relaxing restrictions.
“First and foremost, I would really encourage people to not travel,” Walensky said.
The growing fear is that a new U.K.-originating strain may become the dominant strain circulating around the U.S. by the end of March. Cases of the new strain, of which Bloomberg reported there 690 cases on Monday, are being monitored closely.
Since the reports of a testing requirement for domestic travel first surfaced in January, travel industry groups have express opposition to the move.
“Given the strong scientific evidence that the risk of Covid-19 transmission onboard an aircraft is very low, we believe that a testing requirement for domestic air travel is unwarranted,” industry group Airlines for America said in a letter to the White House. “Further, public health and economic data indicate that this policy would disproportionately prevent low-income travelers and rural Americans in small communities from travel.”
Featured image by Patrick T. Fallon/Getty Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees