Cathay Pacific Is Donating the First-Ever Boeing 777 to the Pima Air and Space Museum
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Cathay Pacific is donating the first-ever Boeing 777 aircraft to the Pima Air & Space Museum on Tuesday. The Pima Air & Space Museum, located in Tucson, Arizona, opened in 1966 and is one of the largest facilities devoted to space travel and aviation. This iconic jet will join more than 350 other historic aircraft at the museum.
Cathay Pacific’s 777-200 is making its way from the airline’s home base in Hong Kong (HKG) to Tucson (TUS) Wednesday morning and is scheduled to land at 11:00am MST. Boeing used the aircraft as a test plane for several years after its first flight on June 12, 1994. The 777-200 joined Cathay Pacific’s fleet in 2000 and ran for 18 years before retiring in May. The Cathay Pacific, B-HNL operated more than 20,000 flights and recorded nearly 50,000 hours of flying time.
In the 1990s, Cathay Pacific contributed significantly to the 777’s design and operations, such as cabin cross-section similar to the 747 Jumbo Jet, a modern ‘glass’ cockpit, fly-by-wire system and lower operating costs. The airline currently operates one of the largest 777 fleets in the world.
“As the world’s very first 777, B-HNL holds a very special place in the history of both our airline and that of commercial aviation, and we are very pleased it will soon bring enjoyment to enthusiasts at its new home in Arizona,” Cathay Pacific Chief Executive Officer Rupert Hogg said in a statement. Hogg also expressed that as the carrier continues to retire 777-200 aircraft over the next few months, the airline is eager to add a 777-9 aircraft to its fleet in 2021.
*Update: B-HNL landed for the last time in Tucson (TUS) at 2:19pm ET, marking the final landing for the first-ever 777.
The world’s first @BoeingAirplanes 777 had landed for the final time at its new home in Arizona’s Pima Air & Space Museum.
— Jason Rabinowitz (@AirlineFlyer) September 18, 2018
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees