Cathay Pacific drops Newark, Seattle and Washington as pandemic hits business
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Hong Kong’s Cathay Pacific Airways is rolling back the ambitious global expansion it embarked on during the decade before the coronavirus pandemic.
Three U.S. airports that joined its map during the period — Newark (EWR) in 2014, Washington Dulles (IAD) in 2018 and Seattle (SEA) in 2019 — are among destinations permanently dropped from the airline’s route map, reported the South China Morning Post on Tuesday. The airline is also pulling out of Dublin (DUB), London Gatwick (LGW) and the Maldives (MLE).
The cuts come amid a dramatic COVID-driven restructuring for Cathay Pacific. The airline closed its Cathay Dragon brand and laid off 8,500 staff in October following steep losses. The carrier plans to transfer most Dragon services to its budget brand HK Express.
Washington is one city that benefitted from Cathay’s 2010s expansion. The route was just one addition in a rapid expansion of international services at Dulles that saw new connections to places ranging from Casablanca (CMN), Edinburgh (EDI) to Tel Aviv (TLV).
At Cathay Pacific’s 2018 Dulles launch, then-CEO Rupert Hogg said the route had been on the airline’s radar for “some time” and he was confident that they were right “placing our confidences in this route.”
— Edward Russell (@ByERussell) September 25, 2018
Micah Lillard, a spokesperson for Dulles operator the Metropolitan Washington Airports Authority, told TPG that Cathay Pacific has advised them that Hong Kong flights will not resume in 2021. Talks are underway “regarding restarting Dulles service once international travel demand approaches pre-COVID-19 levels,” he added.
The International Air Transport Association (IATA) and other groups do no expect air travel to return to 2019 levels until at least 2024.
“After careful consideration, we believe it is unlikely we will operate flights services to these destinations in the near future,” Cathay Pacific spokesperson Julie Jarratt told TPG.
The U.S. pullback will leave Cathay Pacific with five U.S. destinations: Boston (BOS), Chicago O’Hare (ORD), Los Angeles (LAX), New York JFK and San Francisco (SFO). However, only Los Angeles, New York and San Francisco flights have resumed since the pandemic began, according to Cirium schedule data.
Updated with comment from Cathay Pacific.
Featured image by JIMMOYHT/Shutterstock.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees