Cathay Pacific will end New York-Vancouver flight early in coronavirus capacity cuts
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Cathay Pacific released an advisory Thursday, saying that it is cutting 90% of its capacity to mainland China and about 30% of flights across its global network as it faces a steep drop in demand due to the ongoing coronavirus outbreak.
As part of those cuts, the airline moved forward the date of its final fifth-freedom flight between New York (JFK) and Vancouver (YVR). The final flight YVR-JFK appears on Cathay’s website for sale on Feb. 17, and JFK-YVR on Feb. 18. The airline confirmed that the route will be “de-tagged” as of Feb. 19.
The route, which Cathay has flown since 1996, was previously slated to run through late March. Thursday’s statement tells passengers whose bookings on the route are affected that they can request a refund for any portion of the itinerary they have not yet flown.
A spokeswoman for the airline said that exact plans for other routes are still fluid, but many routes in North America will be reduced or suspended beginning later this month through late March.
The current plan calls for reduced service from Boston (BOS), Chicago (ORD), San Francisco (SFO) and Los Angeles (LAX), and suspension of flights from Newark (EWR) and Washington-Dulles (IAD).
Featured photo by Nicolas Economou/NurPhoto via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees