Cathay Pacific will end New York-Vancouver flight early in coronavirus capacity cuts
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Cathay Pacific released an advisory Thursday, saying that it is cutting 90% of its capacity to mainland China and about 30% of flights across its global network as it faces a steep drop in demand due to the ongoing coronavirus outbreak.
As part of those cuts, the airline moved forward the date of its final fifth-freedom flight between New York (JFK) and Vancouver (YVR). The final flight YVR-JFK appears on Cathay’s website for sale on Feb. 17, and JFK-YVR on Feb. 18. The airline confirmed that the route will be “de-tagged” as of Feb. 19.
The route, which Cathay has flown since 1996, was previously slated to run through late March. Thursday’s statement tells passengers whose bookings on the route are affected that they can request a refund for any portion of the itinerary they have not yet flown.
A spokeswoman for the airline said that exact plans for other routes are still fluid, but many routes in North America will be reduced or suspended beginning later this month through late March.
The current plan calls for reduced service from Boston (BOS), Chicago (ORD), San Francisco (SFO) and Los Angeles (LAX), and suspension of flights from Newark (EWR) and Washington-Dulles (IAD).
Featured photo by Nicolas Economou/NurPhoto via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.