What’s Going on With Cathay Pacific Award Availability?
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Last month, Cathay Pacific announced a devaluation of its Asia Miles program, increasing the number of miles needed for many award flights. The changes took effect on Friday, June 22, but there appear to be some bumps in the road in regards to the switchover.
Normally, in order to search for Cathay award availability, you’ll want to use either British Airways’ or Qantas’ websites. But according to TPG reader Matt and others, Cathay currently isn’t showing award availability to either of these Oneworld partners. Another report from Point Me to the Plane confirms that the airline’s normal award availability has vanished, not just on long-haul routes but intra-Asia as well.
TPG readers report they’ve checked with American Airlines agents over the phone, who were also unable to see Cathay award space. TPG Senior Contributor Richard Kerr has been checking the Asia Miles booking system and reports experiencing a large number of glitches. He also noted that calls to Asia Miles phone agents are going straight to voicemail.
It’s possible the airline is experiencing an IT issue from transitioning to the new award chart, which is preventing partners from seeing availability along with causing other issues. We’ll have to wait and see how things shake out over the next few days, but in the meantime, it might be wise to hold off on any transfers from American Express Membership Rewards, Citi ThankYou points or SPG to Asia Miles until this is cleared up. The same goes for those wanting to transfer to British Airways Avios in order to redeem for awards on Cathay Pacific.
We’ve contacted Cathay for comment on this issue but have not yet heard back. However, we’ll update this story when we have more information.
Featured image by Zach Honig / The Points Guy.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Aside from the 120,000-point welcome bonus, Amex recently made huge improvements to the Business Platinum Card, including the fact that you will now earn 50% more points on purchases of $5,000 or more (up to a cap amount), earn 5x on flights and eligible hotels at Amextravel.com and cardholders will receive an up to $200 annual airline fee credit each calendar year (enrollment required).
- Welcome Offer: Earn 120,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $15,000 on eligible purchases with your Card within the first 3 months of Card Membership.
- Plus, 0% Intro APR for 12 months from the date of the account opening on purchases eligible for Pay Over Time. After that, your APR will be 14.99% to 22.99% based on your credit worthiness and other factors as determined at the time of account opening.
- Get 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights and prepaid hotels on amextravel.com, and 1X points for each dollar you spend on eligible purchases.
- Earn 1.5X points on eligible purchases at US construction material & hardware suppliers, electronic goods retailers and software & cloud system providers, and shipping providers, as well as on purchases of $5,000 or more everywhere else, on up to $2 million of these purchases per calendar year.
- Unlock over $1,000 in value per year for statement credits on select purchases with your Card, including up to $400 with Dell Technologies, up to $360 with Indeed, up to $150 with Adobe and up to $120 on wireless telephone purchases. Enrollment required.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit: Get up to $200 in statement credits per calendar year toward baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- $189 CLEAR® Credit: Use your Card and get up to $189 back per year on your CLEAR® membership.
- The American Express Global Lounge Collection® can provide an escape at the airport. With more than 1,400 airport lounges across 140 countries and counting, you have more lounge location options than any other credit card on the market as of 9/2021.
- $695 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.