What’s Going on With Cathay Pacific Award Availability?
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Last month, Cathay Pacific announced a devaluation of its Asia Miles program, increasing the number of miles needed for many award flights. The changes took effect on Friday, June 22, but there appear to be some bumps in the road in regards to the switchover.
Normally, in order to search for Cathay award availability, you’ll want to use either British Airways’ or Qantas’ websites. But according to TPG reader Matt and others, Cathay currently isn’t showing award availability to either of these Oneworld partners. Another report from Point Me to the Plane confirms that the airline’s normal award availability has vanished, not just on long-haul routes but intra-Asia as well.
TPG readers report they’ve checked with American Airlines agents over the phone, who were also unable to see Cathay award space. TPG Senior Contributor Richard Kerr has been checking the Asia Miles booking system and reports experiencing a large number of glitches. He also noted that calls to Asia Miles phone agents are going straight to voicemail.
It’s possible the airline is experiencing an IT issue from transitioning to the new award chart, which is preventing partners from seeing availability along with causing other issues. We’ll have to wait and see how things shake out over the next few days, but in the meantime, it might be wise to hold off on any transfers from American Express Membership Rewards, Citi ThankYou points or SPG to Asia Miles until this is cleared up. The same goes for those wanting to transfer to British Airways Avios in order to redeem for awards on Cathay Pacific.
We’ve contacted Cathay for comment on this issue but have not yet heard back. However, we’ll update this story when we have more information.
Featured image by Zach Honig / The Points Guy.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Aside from the 125,000-point welcome bonus, Amex recently made huge improvements to the Business Platinum Card, including the fact that you will now earn 50% more points on purchases of $5,000 or more (up to a cap amount), earn 5x on flights and eligible hotels at Amextravel.com and cardholders will receive an up to $200 annual airline fee credit each calendar year.
- The Points Guy Exclusive Offer: Earn 125,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $15,000 on eligible purchases with the Business Platinum Card within the first 3 months of Card Membership.
- Get 50% more Membership Rewards® points. That's an extra half point per dollar, on each eligible purchase of $5,000 or more. You can get up to 1 million additional points per year.
- 35% Airline Bonus: Use Membership Rewards® Pay with Points for all or part of a flight with your selected qualifying airline, and you can get 35% of the points back, up to 500,000 bonus points per calendar year when you book on amextravel.com.
- Get 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights and prepaid hotels on amextravel.com.
- Enroll to get up to $200 in statement credits annually by getting up to $100 semi-annually for U.S. purchases with Dell. Terms apply.
- Pay Over Time Option: A flexible payment option to help manage cash flow on purchases of $100 or more.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees