The Care and Keeping of Your Beloved Credit Cards
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
When it comes to taking care of your credit card, the first things that come to mind are probably paying your bills on time, managing your budget and monitoring your credit score. What you don’t think about is taking care of the physical condition of your cards. However, after the recent release of the the simple and sleek Apple card, the tech company is asking us to rethink how we treat our cards. Should we be wiping our cards with a microfiber towel? Supposedly. Does it sound a bit ridiculous? Slightly.
We’re not likely to be that nit-picky with our credit cards, but we still want to show them some love for all of the points they earn us. Here’s how you can take care of your cards without going overboard.
Get A Metal Credit Card
For a long time, metal credit cards were considered more of a status symbol than a convenience. American Express® introduced the first metal credit card, The American Express Centurion Card (aka the Black card), 20 years ago. It was and still is an invite-only card; only elite users have it. It’s so exclusive that Amex won’t even publicly release the requirements for the card, except for the hefty initiation fee of $5,000 — once you’ve been invited.
Fast-forward 20 years and lots of people are clanking down a metal card when the bill comes. From The Platinum Card® from American Express to the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card, there are so many to choose from that we have a whole post dedicated to which metal card is the strongest. Whichever one you choose, the metal cards are more durable than your plastic cards and will peel and split far less often.
Use a Mobile Wallet
Spare your cards all the scratches that come with swiping and inserting your chip: use a mobile wallet. This will not only keep your card looking pristine, but it will also alleviate the annoyance of pulling your card out of those tough-to-grab slots in your wallet. Most banks have their own mobile wallet tied to their apps, but you can also opt for Apple Pay and Samsung Pay, which can be set up on your phone without downloading any other apps.
Tap to Pay
Much like mobile wallets but requiring you to use your physical card, tapping to pay requires a contactless credit card. You can tell if your card is contactless if it has the Wi-Fi symbol on the front or back. If a merchant is accepting contactless payments, you can tap away. You can tell if a store is ready for tap-to-pay if the card reader has the Wi-Fi symbol on it or a sign indicating that it’s an accepted form of payment. You can also use the tap-to-pay feature with mobile wallets.
Buy a Good Wallet
Plain and simple — have a good, clean and secure wallet to store your cards in. If your wallet is tattered, falling apart and things are constantly falling out of it, then it’s time to invest in a new one. Yes, credit cards are replaceable, but you can easily avoid losing your credit card in the first place.
If this post is too little, too late and your credit cards are already peeling, splitting and unreadable, then you should probably call the number on the backs of your cards (if you can still read them) and order replacements ASAP. Once you get your pretty new cards, try to treat them a little nicer this time. After all, they are the ones funding your vacations… but we’re still not sold on cleaning them with a microfiber towel.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 75,000 Points Terms Apply.
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,500
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: Delta Sky Club and Centurion lounge access, up to $200 annual airline fee credit and up to $200 in Uber savings annually (only for use in the U.S.) (Enrollment required for select benefits)
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 75,000 Membership Rewards® Points after you spend $5,000 on purchases on your new Card in your first 6 months of Card Membership.
- Earn 10x points on eligible purchases on your new Card at U.S. Gas Stations and U.S. Supermarkets, on up to $15,000 in combined purchases, during your first 6 months of Card Membership. That’s an additional 9 points on top of the 1 point you earn for these purchases.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and up to $200 in Uber savings on rides or eats orders in the US annually. Uber Cash and Uber VIP status is available to Basic Card Member and Additional Centurion Cards only.
- Earn 5X Membership Rewards® Points for flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel. Starting January 1, 2021, earn 5X points on up to $500,000 on these purchases per calendar year.
- 5X Membership Rewards® Points on prepaid hotels booked with American Express Travel.
- Enjoy complimentary access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits through American Express Travel with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts® program at over 1,100 properties. Learn More.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. That’s up to $50 in statement credits semi-annually. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees