Capital One Savor Card Offering 8% Cash Back on Event Tickets
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
One of the industry’s most rewarding cash-back cards is getting another big boost. The Capital One Savor Cash Rewards Credit Card, which offers 4% cash back on dining and entertainment, as well as 2% back at grocery stores and 1% on all other purchases, will now net you a 8% cash refund on all purchases made with Vivid Seats through May 2020 — “the largest independent marketplace for tickets to live sports, concert and theater events,” according to Capital One.
While I’ve used StubHub several times, I wasn’t yet familiar with Vivid Seats, so I decided to compare availability for this Saturday evening’s Hamilton in NYC. While the pricing varied a bit, I found nearly identical inventory to what was listed on StubHub. For example, here’s Saturday’s performance on Vivid’s site:
And here’s the same event over at StubHub:
Pricing was comparable as well — both sites excluded service fees in the subtotal (boo!), but the end result was nearly identical.
The grand total came out a hair higher for two tickets at Vivid Seats, seemingly due to a higher “Instant Download” fee of $7.50, compared with a $2.50 (per ticket) “Fulfillment Fee” over at StubHub. The nearly $100 you’ll be getting as cash back from Capital One will more than compensate for that, though.
Interestingly, when I didn’t pull the trigger over at Vivid Seats, I got an email offering 10% off the base price, with a maximum savings of $75.
With the $75 discount applied, Vivid was the clear winner, so it might be worth pulling up an event without checking out right away, even if you do intend to make a purchase.
Overall, this is a welcome addition, and will make it worthwhile to do a bit more comparison shopping the next time you buy event tickets from a reseller. From 10x miles on Hotels.com purchases with the Capital One Venture Rewards Credit Card (when booked and paid through Hotels.com/venture) to a year of unlimited Postmates with the Capital One Savor Cash Rewards Card, the issuer’s certainly making an effort on the innovation front.
For more on Capital One Savor, see:
- Credit Card Review: Capital One Savor
- Get Waived Postmates Delivery Fees With the Capital One Savor Card
- Capital One Improves Savor With 4% Back on Dining and Entertainment
Featured photo by Robert Alexander/Getty Images.
This cash back card has a focus on dining and entertainment where you can earn unlimited 4% cash back in those spending categories. You can also earn 2% cash back at grocery stores and 1% cash back on all other purchases.
- Earn a one-time $300 cash bonus after you spend $3000 on purchases within the first 3 months from account opening
- Earn unlimited 4% cash back on dining and entertainment, 2% at grocery stores and 1% on all other purchases. Plus, earn 8% cash back on tickets at Vivid Seats through May 2020.
- No rotating categories or sign-ups needed to earn cash rewards; plus cash back won't expire for the life of the account and there's no limit to how much you can earn
- No foreign transaction fees
- Capital One cardholders get access to premium experiences in dining, entertainment and more
- $0 intro annual fee for the first year, $95 after that