Capital One adds new in-app bonus eligibility checker
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The moment after you hit ‘submit’ on a new credit card application can be full of anticipation and fear, especially if you have a lower credit score and are worried you might be rejected. In the last few years we’ve seen issuers leaning on big data to try and reduce the guesswork and avoid disappointing customers by denying their applications.
New to The Points Guy? Want to learn more about credit card points and miles? Sign up for our daily newsletter.
American Express led this charge a while back by adding a pop-up welcome bonus eligibility checker that will inform customers whether or not they’re eligible to receive the bonus on a new card before they submit the application, and now, per Doctor of Credit, Capital One has added a similar feature.
Now, when you apply for Capital One credit cards (both personal cards such as the Capital One Venture Rewards Credit Card and business cards including the Capital One Spark Miles for Business) you may receive a pop-up message after submitting your application telling you that you didn’t qualify for the original offer you applied for and offering you an alternate option, which may include a different APR, a different credit limit, a different welcome offer or no bonus.
It’s important to note that unlike Amex, this message is appearing after users submit their application, which means your credit has already been pulled. If you don’t accept the offer then your application would be rejected, which thankfully doesn’t hurt your credit score at all beyond the initial inquiry.
You will want to be careful though before accepting a modified offer that doesn’t include a welcome bonus, as doing so might prevent you from earning one in the future. The terms and condition of the Capital One Venture Rewards card application say the following (emphasis mine):
“You will earn 60,000 bonus miles if you spend at least $3,000 within 3 months of your rewards membership enrollment date. Once you qualify for this bonus, we will apply it to your rewards balance within two billing cycles. Existing or previous Accountholders may not be eligible for this one-time bonus.“
While this isn’t a hard-and-fast rule like some other issuers use, it means that you may not be able to get the bonus on the Venture card if you’ve had it in the past, even if you didn’t earn a bonus at that time.
Getting rejected from a credit card can be a major disappointment, especially if you were planning on using those points for an upcoming trip. Capital One’s new pop-up offer may help take some of the sting out of that by allowing you to get the same credit card under different terms, just be careful you don’t inadvertently make a decision that prevents you from earning a bonus in the future.
Featured photo by The Points Guy
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.