One of Cape Town’s Biggest Tourist Attractions Is on Fire
The fire, which started Sunday afternoon around 4pm, is being fed by strong 25 to 30mph winds. As of Sunday afternoon, some 70 fire fighters and 20 fire-fighting vehicles, including helicopters, were on the scene attempting to gain control of the flames. “The firefighting effort [is] expected to last all night,” according to the Sunday Times.
There are also reports of residents having been advised to evacuate affected areas. Emergency vehicles are blocking some of the main roads but so far flights arriving and departing Cape Town International Airport (CPT) don’t appear to be affected by the fire.
Social media has been providing pretty incredible video and images of the current situation:
The high winds are causing the fire to spread quickly:
This post was last updated as of 8:00pm on 01/27/19. We will continue to update this post as the story develops.
H/T: Cape Town Etc
Featured image courtesy of Joseph Dana
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X points on dining and 2x points on travel, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.